Best small car for young driver

Davyo

How tall is he?? If a big lad then my suggestion will not fit if you know what I mean. The Fiat 500 Abarth or just a straight 500 is a cracking little car. Mind I was not thinking INSURANCE. the Abarth may be a step too far. Have one of these recording devices fitted for him and his insurance will be slashed .. I think they work like a tacho. My friends lads both have them fitted and it almost halves their insurance premium.

How tall is he?? If a big lad then my suggestion will not fit if you know what I mean. The Fiat 500 Abarth or just a straight 500 is a cracking little car. Mind I was not thinking INSURANCE. the Abarth may be a step too far. Have one of these recording devices fitted for him and his insurance will be slashed .. I think they work like a tacho. My friends lads both have them fitted and it almost halves their insurance premium.

Don't they put restrictions like mileage on the driver or they get hammered if they are driving at certain times of the day?

Don't they put restrictions like mileage on the driver or they get hammered if they are driving at certain times of the day?

Depends on the policy some are by the mile as it were and higher at peak times late at night a mates daughter has one and made a big difference to premium she had a polo her sister a feista as a first car both bough at about 10year old as inevitable bumps and scrapes would happen. At 21 his eldest had a nicer car.

1.2 corsa has always been a popular first car easy on insurance cheap to buy and repair etc it used to be 5 doors were less on insurance I think the newer ones are bigger and heavier so the 1.2 isn't as nippy as it was in the older cars.

I'll ask him when I speak to him which insurer but I think the deal they did was she could keep the saving so drives like a granny as she knows if she does she can buy clothes or shoes with the money!

Might be

https://www.ingenie.com

Edited by HDAV

I have a 65 plate Ka titanium & a 16 plate Fiesta Zetec to look at in the morning & a couple of Toyota Aygo's on the afternoon.Not a Vauxhall fan but may consider looking at Renault & Citreon. I like the Fiat 500 but I know he's not a fan,pity as there are some cracking deals on them.

I bought a VW up for my lad last year, it's a great car he loves it and insurance is cheap group 1. Skoda and seat versions might be cheaper but this one was a pre reg new main dealer.

I used it for some time before he passed his test and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Given the choice again I would get the exact same car.

Can I be an old *** and suggest a much older vehicle if it is his first - with zero NCD?

I say this as if he damages it without anyone else's involvement he can more easily scrap it without risking his NCD for a year or two while he continues his learning as a new driver.

My daughter had a couple of Ford Ka's,might not suit his street cred as a lad but solid reliable little cars to get started with.

She then moved onto the Fiesta,no problems again but she always buys new,good luck in whatever you choose,BB

Something worth mentioning,her insurance through Ford insure was dropped by 50% over anyone through a comparison website.

I drive a lot of nearly new small cars about for a living.

1. Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - head and shoulders above anything else cracking little cars. DO NOT BUY THE SMALL ENGINED ZETEC..........

2. Polo Autos nice

3. Audi A1, only down at 3 cos it costs an arm and a leg

4. VW up, Skoda citigo etc, more fun than you think but for gods sake DO NOT BUY AN AUTO!!!!

5. Pug 107 Citroen c1 etc Again for the love of god not an auto!!!!

6-98 ANYTHING ELSE

99. Fiat 500 Slow Noisy drink, feel like youre driving along in a crisp packet.

100. Vauxhall corsa, jesus how did they get it so wrong?

Edited by Sprinter

I drive a lot of nearly new small cars about for a living.

1. Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - head and shoulders above anything else cracking little cars. DO NOT BUY THE SMALL ENGINED ZETEC..........

2. Polo Autos nice

3. Audi A1, only down at 3 cos it costs an arm and a leg

4. VW up, Skoda citigo etc, more fun than you think but for gods sake DO NOT BUY AN AUTO!!!!

5. Pug 107 Citroen c1 etc Again for the love of god not an auto!!!!

6-98 ANYTHING ELSE

99. Fiat 500 Slow Noisy drink, feel like youre driving along in a crisp packet.

100. Vauxhall corsa, jesus how did they get it so wrong?

Just looked at 2 Ka's now going over to Toyota.regarding the eco etc 125 my wife has a 65 plate Titaniuim X that she got brand new and it's since had a Mountune upgrade.This car is awesome but it's mine in 15mths time when she gets her new ST.

Wouldn't trust him in a standard eco boost 125 as you well know how quick they are.Could always program the My Key I suppose.

I have a 65 plate Ka titanium & a 16 plate Fiesta Zetec to look at in the morning & a couple of Toyota Aygo's on the afternoon.Not a Vauxhall fan but may consider looking at Renault & Citreon. I like the Fiat 500 but I know he's not a fan,pity as there are some cracking deals on them.

Has he driven the Abarth ? I know the standard 500s look a bit girly but the Abarth is far from it. If I were back in my twenties I would certainly be looking at a nice black one, with red trim.

I'm being no help I know but an old man can dream :yes::good::no::yahoo:

Edited by Walker570

Has he driven the Abarth ? I know the standard 500s look a bit girly but the Abarth is far from it. If I were back in my twenties I would certainly be looking at a nice black one, with red trim.

I'm being no help I know but an old man can dream :yes::good::no::yahoo:

The insurance would be out of this world, not saying they can't afford it, but it'd make your eyes water.

I have just picked up my father in laws 5 year old 308 1.4 for my Son who will be starting in April, been quoted 1500quid fully comp or 900 quid 3rd party as Son main driver and owner of car. Considering its a 1.4 I thought that was acceptable. We will try the black box approach and see if it comes down any from there! The car was too good to turn down. He has had it from new, 10k miles and full dealer history, serviced every bloody year!!

Edited by m3vert

Well that didn't go as planned,took my son around a few garages today Ford,Toyota,Citroen,Reault.Saw a couple of nice Ka's, aygo's DS and Clio's/Twingo's £5500- £7000 mark.Went for tea to decide what's best,now they are too small & he won't get his fishing gear in! Get a roof rack and a box then.

Anyhow this is how it's ended up, mum has a car, Josh has a car, dad used to have a car until today.Thats right he's took my C3 Picasso hdi as he can get all his fishing gear in.He ain't bothered one bit about it being an old mans car as long as he can get away on finishing trips.On the plus side I've still got 8k.

Just got quote for him as owner driver with £250 excess, £1358 but has to have black box.If he keeps his nose clean how quick will his policy start come down to a respectable amount,3/4/5 years.I will pay his policy for 1st few years and if he elects to pay monthly it's about £150 more.

Some of the quotes where nuts going up to nearly 6k.

Well that didn't go as planned,took my son around a few garages today Ford,Toyota,Citroen,Reault.Saw a couple of nice Ka's, aygo's DS and Clio's/Twingo's £5500- £7000 mark.Went for tea to decide what's best,now they are too small & he won't get his fishing gear in! Get a roof rack and a box then.

Anyhow this is how it's ended up, mum has a car, Josh has a car, dad used to have a car until today.Thats right he's took my C3 Picasso hdi as he can get all his fishing gear in.He ain't bothered one bit about it being an old mans car as long as he can get away on finishing trips.On the plus side I've still got 8k.

Result there then, you gets to choose your new car. :)

my son passed his test last february just after his 18th birthday,since he passed his test he had been getting lots of quotes for different cars,the cheapest quote he got with a black box was £1700 and without black box the best quote was £2200,last November my son bought a peugeot 208 1.2L 2012 model and was quoted by Admiral insurance £2200(on comparison website) without black box,just as my son was about to get the insurance online my brother told me to get a quote with these https://www.aspokesmansaid.com/compare/car-insurance ,the price they quoted was £1100 and this was with Admiral insurance and this was without black box and exactly the same insurance cover as when quoted by gocompare and compare the market(both £2200) ,