Best small car for young driver

Davyo

When you do make a decision do not be tempted (or influenced by lad) to buy anything sporty. Also buy the newest you can afford. This will help the insurance quite a bit as the risks all insurers hate are old bangers, especially the 'gti' types. I cringed a few months back when one of our number said '.... Just bought my18yo lad a Civic type R and can't find cheap insurance..' This is the worst risk possible.

Oh and nothing modified!

my son passed his test last february just after his 18th birthday,since he passed his test he had been getting lots of quotes for different cars,the cheapest quote he got with a black box was £1700 and without black box the best quote was £2200,last November my son bought a peugeot 208 1.2L 2012 model and was quoted by Admiral insurance £2200(on comparison website) without black box,just as my son was about to get the insurance online my brother told me to get a quote with these https://www.aspokesmansaid.com/compare/car-insurance ,the price they quoted was £1100 and this was with Admiral insurance and this was without black box and exactly the same insurance cover as when quoted by gocompare and compare the market(both £2200) ,

Cheers mate will give them ago,want to try and stay away from the black box if I can.Son wants to go away most weekends course fishing and this would just impact on him returning late on a Sunday night.Is a bit mad this young insurance lark,I know they are a potential risk but I'm insuring the same car for under £200.

When you do make a decision do not be tempted (or influenced by lad) to buy anything sporty. Also buy the newest you can afford. This will help the insurance quite a bit as the risks all insurers hate are old bangers, especially the 'gti' types. I cringed a few months back when one of our number said '.... Just bought my18yo lad a Civic type R and can't find cheap insurance..' This is the worst risk possible.

Oh and nothing modified!

Ain't no way he's getting behind something sporty,so quite pleased he's asked me for the C3 Picasso, he's moe bothered about getting his fishing gear in than street creed lol. I have a transferable warranty on it that will stay when I transfer the registration docs with DVLA.He should have trouble free motoring and only need to pull out for fuel as I will keep it serviced with Citroen.He can move up to other cars once he builds up NCD and gets 5/6 yrs driving experience under his belt.

Suzuki jimny 1.3 petrol. Not best on juice but if he's into shooting he won't go far wrong. I paid £1400 for a y reg with 45k and cost £1900 for first years insurance with black box fitted. The black box hasn't been affected at all by of roading

I just sold a 58 Jimny plate because we stopped shooting but needed something with a bit more pulling power as we bought a boat.Hence why I ended up with a C3 Picasso HDI

Bit late to the party but we recently got my wife a new Kia Rio, for the money you really cant go wrong especially with the 7 year warranty as they hold their value quite well. I have been pretty impressed with it, for a small car it has quite a lot of room especially in the boot and it goes alright for a 1.1l. It is not quick by any means but handles nicely and feels well built. We got it brand new for £9500ish in the SR7 spec and has most the gadgets any 17 year old would want, PCP deals were good as well with a tiny deposit you could drive one away for about £160 a month.