Are pigeons still finding rape an attractive food ?

anser2

The will be eating the turnip leaves or maybe frosted soft turnips themselves. Years ago when turnips were widely grown as cattle food pigeons would often feed on them in cold weather.

we have large fields of turnips for the sheep here and they are strip grazed...................not a damn pigeon to be seen anywhere near them...and the flocks that were hanging around the rape ...have gone again....i put 4 rockets up thismorning and havntbseen a single bird today...

There is a field of strip grazed turnips I drive past when on a pigeon recon and the pigeons have not touched it. But back in the 1960s I shot quite a few off turnip tops. Different types grown these days perhaps. I finaly found some pigeons on rape a couple of days ago, but with houses on 3 sides of the field it is unshootable ( its not a big field , around 12 acres.). All the other rape fields were blank execpt for one little party of 12 birds. I need to keep an eye on that field .

Roost shooting is providing the only sport at the moment and that is not brilliant.

Edited by anser2