Night vision speed cameras. Coming to a town near you!

7daysinaweek

Not so, they have had night vision cameras for years. I was clocked more than a decade ago going over a flyover at 53 in a 40 limit. The camera was 400 metres from where it clocked me.

I was stopped and asked to review the data and image. No mistake the IR Lazer camera had me, my car and my face clearly imaged and the Lazer had my speed recorded. It was in the dark at 10.30pm.

The PC asked me if I had any comments. I simply replied "nice bit of kit you have there!"

What this article is actually saying is that the level of fines is increasing.

Not so, they have had night vision cameras for years. I was clocked more than a decade ago going over a flyover at 53 in a 40 limit. The camera was 400 metres from where it clocked me.

I was stopped and asked to review the data and image. No mistake the IR Lazer camera had me, my car and my face clearly imaged and the Lazer had my speed recorded. It was in the dark at 10.30pm.

The PC asked me if I had any comments. I simply replied "nice bit of kit you have there!"

What this article is actually saying is that the level of fines is increasing.

They have the latest cameras near me that have a flash on them to get you in the dark!!!

There is a difference with cameras that can operate in low light conditions and have a fill flash to help the camera see you.

These are talking about speed cameras that point straight at you and use IR to enable the camera to see,if you shine a light at the lens of a camera like this the only picture you will get is a white picture.

There is a difference with cameras that can operate in low light conditions and have a fill flash to help the camera see you.

These are talking about speed cameras that point straight at you and use IR to enable the camera to see,if you shine a light at the lens of a camera like this the only picture you will get is a white picture.

The image I saw of me was taken at 400m as my car came over the brow. No flash and I had my headlights on. Easy to read the front number plate. A great bit of kit.

Pointing IR light at a driver! The simple solution to speeding is black boxes to all cars.But then there's no revenue in that is there.

It is a black IR, invisible to the human eye.

The image I saw of me was taken at 400m as my car came over the brow. No flash and I had my headlights on. Easy to read the front number plate. A great bit of kit.

It is a black IR, invisible to the human eye.

Yeh but just like the IR we shoot with that's invisible to the human eye but can cause damage if you look at it ( I m proof as my eye was damaged mucking about with T20's)

Yeh but just like the IR we shoot with that's invisible to the human eye but can cause damage if you look at it ( I m proof as my eye was damaged mucking about with T20's)

But at what range. Not 400m.

A friend of mine was caught on M6 in Cumbria 110 mph at 1500m. That is some bit of kit.

I have heard that Europe wants to fit the black telematics box to every new car. Which will constantly up various authorities and insurance exactly what your doing, where, when, weather, speed, g forces. It'll be the death of the sports car.

Europe can stick their black boxes where the sun don't shine ! we are leaving !!!!

I tend to think that in a few years time new cars will be if not fully mostly self driving when you enter a 20 30 40 50 60 70 zone your car /trucks computer will slow you down to whatever the limit is with automatic braking and self parking driving will not be so much fun but it will be a lot safer. on the bright side no more drunken driving you can go out to a nice country pub if there are any left and drink as much as you like knowing that your car will take you home safely.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

There is a major issue here and it's called lying. With the exception of fixed roadside cameras which have their own laws written around their use a mobile camera can van operator can Not send a legally enforceable fine without a police officer witnessing the offence. If you or I were to set up a van at the side of the road with a camera in and send out fines they would.not be enforceable as we are not police officers and do not have the power of written law to back us up, this also applies to any non serving police officer operating a mobile scamera van. "working in partnership with" written on the side should give you a clue as to who is inside!.

If ever you are caught out by one of these scameras reply asking for the badge number of the officer who witnessed the alleged offence. The standard reply is "we do not give out personal.details of staff due to data protection" a police officers badge number is not personal info or protected. It's a giant con relying on people's ignorance of the law to make them pay(of course the incentive is that if you cough up within 14 days you get a discount)and not question the ticket. A serving police officer Must be present to witness the alleged offence a council employee is not a police officer and to my knowledge there is yet to be any new legislation written around the use of mobile civilian operated cameras. Just like parking tickets given on private land it's an unenforceable money making machine relying on people feeling duty-bound or intimidated into parting with their cash

There is a major issue here and it's called lying. With the exception of fixed roadside cameras which have their own laws written around their use a mobile camera can van operator can Not send a legally enforceable fine without a police officer witnessing the offence. If you or I were to set up a van at the side of the road with a camera in and send out fines they would.not be enforceable as we are not police officers and do not have the power of written law to back us up, this also applies to any non serving police officer operating a mobile scamera van. "working in partnership with" written on the side should give you a clue as to who is inside!.

If ever you are caught out by one of these scameras reply asking for the badge number of the officer who witnessed the alleged offence. The standard reply is "we do not give out personal.details of staff due to data protection" a police officers badge number is not personal info or protected. It's a giant con relying on people's ignorance of the law to make them pay(of course the incentive is that if you cough up within 14 days you get a discount)and not question the ticket. A serving police officer Must be present to witness the alleged offence a council employee is not a police officer and to my knowledge there is yet to be any new legislation written around the use of mobile civilian operated cameras. Just like parking tickets given on private land it's an unenforceable money making machine relying on people feeling duty-bound or intimidated into parting with their cash

Your bang on mate, have you seen the bloke on youtube who purposely parks in front of these vans and opens his hatchback to block the camera.Then he forces them to move on waving some documents in their face telling them that they have no legal right to be doing what they are doing. I wondered why he wasn't arrested or the police didn't come along, so what you say makes sense.

Edited by Davyo

I tend to think that in a few years time new cars will be if not fully mostly self driving when you enter a 20 30 40 50 60 70 zone your car /trucks computer will slow you down to whatever the limit is with automatic braking and self parking driving will not be so much fun but it will be a lot safer. on the bright side no more drunken driving you can go out to a nice country pub if there are any left and drink as much as you like knowing that your car will take you home safely.

My mates Dad used a horse to take him 10 miles back home from Coventry when he was sloshed.

Always got there too,knew its way home.lol.

Typically, photreflective number plates are detected by using 850 or sometimes 940nm infrared. With these systems the most you'll see is a dull glow from a light source. The cameras have a dark screen in front of them to remove most of the visible light. It's the same as you get on the front of a tv remote control. Looks opaque but is transparent at infrared frequencies. Main beam won't dazzle the camera, unless you add some err, main beam infrared lights. Hmm that gets me thinking...