Night vision speed cameras. Coming to a town near you!

7daysinaweek

I tend to think that in a few years time new cars will be if not fully mostly self driving when you enter a 20 30 40 50 60 70 zone your car /trucks computer will slow you down to whatever the limit is with automatic braking and self parking driving will not be so much fun but it will be a lot safer. on the bright side no more drunken driving you can go out to a nice country pub if there are any left and drink as much as you like knowing that your car will take you home safely.

My mates Dad used a horse to take him 10 miles back home from Coventry when he was sloshed.

Always got there too,knew its way home.lol.

My grandad used to tell stories of putting drunken blokes in their pony and trap and sending them on their way home.

There is a major issue here and it's called lying. With the exception of fixed roadside cameras which have their own laws written around their use a mobile camera can van operator can Not send a legally enforceable fine without a police officer witnessing the offence. If you or I were to set up a van at the side of the road with a camera in and send out fines they would.not be enforceable as we are not police officers and do not have the power of written law to back us up, this also applies to any non serving police officer operating a mobile scamera van. "working in partnership with" written on the side should give you a clue as to who is inside!.

If ever you are caught out by one of these scameras reply asking for the badge number of the officer who witnessed the alleged offence. The standard reply is "we do not give out personal.details of staff due to data protection" a police officers badge number is not personal info or protected. It's a giant con relying on people's ignorance of the law to make them pay(of course the incentive is that if you cough up within 14 days you get a discount)and not question the ticket. A serving police officer Must be present to witness the alleged offence a council employee is not a police officer and to my knowledge there is yet to be any new legislation written around the use of mobile civilian operated cameras. Just like parking tickets given on private land it's an unenforceable money making machine relying on people feeling duty-bound or intimidated into parting with their cash

Never knew that!, thanks T.I will recall that information if ever needed.

Might as well all go and buy a trabant. Wish plod and powers that be put as much effort into catching and prosecuting criminals as they do hounding motorists. How many times do s rites get off but motorists are easy targets.

Easy way is up the sodding speed limits to 90 on dual caragways/motorways, 40 in urban areas as cars can stop a lot quicker and are more pedestrian friendly when one walks out in front of a car.

Edited by figgy

I tend to think that in a few years time new cars will be if not fully mostly self driving when you enter a 20 30 40 50 60 70 zone your car /trucks computer will slow you down to whatever the limit is with automatic braking and self parking driving will not be so much fun but it will be a lot safer. on the bright side no more drunken driving you can go out to a nice country pub if there are any left and drink as much as you like knowing that your car will take you home safely.

Not true. ATM you are still deemed in control of the car self driving or not. All because insurers heads were fried at the prospect of 2 self driving cars crashing into each other and being unable to sort liability out .......

Might as well all go and buy a trabant. Wish plod and powers that be put as much effort into catching and prosecuting criminals as they do hounding motorists. How many times do s rites get off but motorists are easy targets.

Easy way is up the sodding speed limits to 90 on dual caragways/motorways, 40 in urban areas as cars can stop a lot quicker and are more pedestrian friendly when one walks out in front of a car.

More Pedestrian friendly? I still avoid putting that to the test!

That's why more people need to buy the road angels or snoopers.

These will get better as the cameras do and will alert us to there location.

But if they detect a camera, hasn't the camera already got you? i think the only things that work are jammers. A bloke on the Northeast news this week got at 12mth suspended & 2k fine for using one.

But if they detect a camera, hasn't the camera already got you? i think the only things that work are jammers. A bloke on the Northeast news this week got at 12mth suspended & 2k fine for using one.

Thats a ridiculous sentence, not like he's killed or even hurt anybody. This country has it all wrong, I despair

There is a major issue here and it's called lying. With the exception of fixed roadside cameras which have their own laws written around their use a mobile camera can van operator can Not send a legally enforceable fine without a police officer witnessing the offence. If you or I were to set up a van at the side of the road with a camera in and send out fines they would.not be enforceable as we are not police officers and do not have the power of written law to back us up, this also applies to any non serving police officer operating a mobile scamera van. "working in partnership with" written on the side should give you a clue as to who is inside!.

If ever you are caught out by one of these scameras reply asking for the badge number of the officer who witnessed the alleged offence. The standard reply is "we do not give out personal.details of staff due to data protection" a police officers badge number is not personal info or protected. It's a giant con relying on people's ignorance of the law to make them pay(of course the incentive is that if you cough up within 14 days you get a discount)and not question the ticket. A serving police officer Must be present to witness the alleged offence a council employee is not a police officer and to my knowledge there is yet to be any new legislation written around the use of mobile civilian operated cameras. Just like parking tickets given on private land it's an unenforceable money making machine relying on people feeling duty-bound or intimidated into parting with their cash

Not in any way challenging these comments but seeking a pointer please to where it's written down in black and white. The reason being I never know when I may need it. Forewarned is Forearmed as they say. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Not in any way challenging these comments but seeking a pointer please to where it's written down in black and white. The reason being I never know when I may need it. Forewarned is Forearmed as they say. Thanks.

It is sometimes the case on PW that an opinion is voiced as if it is fact and when asked for chapter and verse the contributor goes quite! Is this yet another example?

It is sometimes the case on PW that an opinion is voiced as if it is fact and when asked for chapter and verse the contributor goes quite! Is this yet another example?

I think he is referring too the Vans that have people assigned by the police and no actual police officer present.Plenty of vids on YouTube of people asking them to move on along the lines that they can not legally catch motorists without a service policeman to witness the offence.Dont know how but plenty of them move off when confronted and quite often they are committing a motoring offence themselves by the way they park.One instance a van was parked on the entrance to a lay by causing an obstruction.When confronted by a member of the public they soon moved on (not wearing a seat belt I may add) Edited by Davyo