someone has shot my fox

Guest stevo

Oh I get it big time stevo. I had a house overlooking a a tributary of a well known game fishing river. A wild brownie of around 1lb took up residence in the pool below my corridor window. That's was one brown trout I never had even the faintest inkling to catch. I think one of the village kids caught him on a spinner as he disappeared after one nice flood!

Cheers

Aled

Oh I get it big time stevo. I had a house overlooking a a tributary of a well known game fishing river. A wild brownie of around 1lb took up residence in the pool below my corridor window. That's was one brown trout I never had even the faintest inkling to catch. I think one of the village kids caught him on a spinner as he disappeared after one nice flood!

Cheers

Aled

Doubt that your trout would have taken a liking for livestock though buddy, whereas a fox retains the ability to cause a lot of carnage very quickly. That is the point you regret letting the fox pass by and not taking the shot (IMO).

Doubt that your trout would have taken a liking for livestock though buddy, whereas a fox retains the ability to cause a lot of carnage very quickly. That is the point you regret letting the fox pass by and not taking the shot (IMO).

Fair enough Welsh Mike, but I was answering the " sometimes its nice to leave it alone" comment.

You have missed the point completely.

Bad shooting isn't weapon dependant though - you can wound with any gun, but I guess it's more likely with a shotgun

With a fox calibrate zeroed in grouping @1inch you are not going to miss the kill zone unless you are shooting outside of you capabilities where as you shouldn't be taking the shot in the 1st place.

Shot gun the majority of times someone doesn't have a suitable load to do the job and is usually shooting at a running fox.My option is that unless you are using a magnum load and Charlie doesn't present himself within 20 mtrs then he's best left alone.Plus if he ain't causing an issue in the 1st place then leave him.If he's causing issues for someone else then let them deal with Charlie.

No mate I havent. Same as usual with your good self, you dont agree hence why you come up with that sort of ill conceived statement.

Perhaps I should have explained why I think you have missed the point.

Reading stevo's original post I took it to mean man's wider relationship with animals not just that particular fox. In the same thread Stoxs refers to a 'pet cow', PC refers to sheep on a trailer heading for slaughter, Good Shot refers to wildlife generally and Aled relates a tale about a trout. The same ethics apply to the pigeon or pheasant in your garden.

You have your views and I have mine.

Edited by JDog

Perhaps I should have explained why I think you have missed the point.

Reading stevo's original post I took it to mean man's wider relationship with animals not just that particular fox. In the same thread Stoxs refers to a 'pet cow', PC refers to sheep on a trailer heading for slaughter, Good Shot refers to wildlife generally and Aled relates a tale about a trout. The same ethics apply to the pigeon or pheasant in your garden.

You have your views and I have mine.

Fair point.

I agree that not every quarry species has to become a target. I don't kill everything that I get the chance to.

With regards this fox, someone obviously felt differently about it than Stevo. It may well have been a problem to someone at some point.

The point about not shooting fox with a shotgun is silly. A rifle shot can also be misplaced.

Guest cookoff013

I shot at 2 places, one next to the other. One side was instructed to not shoot fox at all, then on other side of hedge next door, to shoot on sight. It was not too far from some local game shooting over the way. I shot a fox on the right side, and the other landowner got wind of it. Caused alot of problems.

How many questions are asked here about what shells to use for fox?

I teach alot of new reloaders. Most haven't a clue what goes in a shell, let alone matching shell to firearm and such.

We had a guy go get his fac for 223 for rabbits because he couldn't see how a shotgun could ever kill a rabbit. His mate supplied him with the best shells for the job,28gram loads of 8! He bought at double the going rate. I gave him a tip and a box of 36g #4. Night and day difference. Cost him hundreds.