SAS rogue heroes.

ordnance

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paddy Mayne Blair was an interesting character not someone you would want to get on the wrong side of. He ended up one of the highest decorated British soldier of WW2.

Lieutenant Colonel Robert Blair "Paddy" Mayne DSO & Three Bars (11 January 1915 – 14 December 1955) was a Northern Irish solicitor, British Army soldier, Ireland rugby union international, amateur boxer, and a founding member of the Special Air Service (SAS). During the course of the Second World War he became one of the British Army's most highly decorated soldiers.

Companion of the Distinguished Service Order and Three bars (DSO & 3 Bars) 24 February 1942

21 October 1943 (1st Bar)
29 March 1945 (2nd Bar)
11 October 1945 (3rd Bar)
39-45 Star BAR.svg 1939–45 Star
Africa Star 8th ARMY BAR.svg Africa Star With '8th ARMY' clasp
Italy Star BAR.svg Italy Star
France and Germany Star BAR.svg France and Germany Star
Defence Medal ribbon.png Defence Medal
War Medal 39-45 BAR MID.png War Medal 1939–1945 with bronze oak leaf for Mentioned in Dispatches 24 February 1942 (MID)
Legion Honneur Officier ribbon.svg Officer of the Legion of Honour (France)
Croix de Guerre 1939-1945 ribbon.svg Croix de guerre 1939–1945 (France)

post-45225-0-25238900-1486420129_thumb.jpg

Edited by ordnance

If any of you enjoy a good military read I suggest a book called "Born of the desert" by Malcolm James. I was recommended it by a colleague who's father was one of the originals taken on by Stirling in North Africa and is mentioned in this book. Malcolm James was a medical officer attached to the unit and his book was written soon after the war from his notes and memory. It's by all means a true and brutal read of the bravery and sacrifices of those that gave their all.

Brushed shoulders with a few and they were always happy to give valuable advise .... non of 'em, looked a bit like Rambo ...just the opposite. Had one of their snipers frighten the doo doo out of me once on a make believe three day siege. I was happy that my position was good and tucked up under some stinging nettles, when I got that feeling someone was looking at me. Turned to see a blackened face about a yard away and a grinning set of teeth... the owner of those teeth just vanished into the undergrowth with a friendly nod.

Very pleased they are on our side. :yes:

I worked with an ex member for a while. A mad keen shooting man, his passion was long range rifle shooting. Told me a couple of edited snippets about his time serving and showed me his SLR clip that had been hit by a round aimed at him.

Really nice guy, very laid back but sharp as a tack.

Should be interesting tonight.

On 15 April 1945, Major John Tonkin led a squadron of SAS soldiers through the gates of Bergen-Belsen – the first Allied troops to enter the notorious Nazi concentration camp. What he saw there haunted him for life, a hellish vision of man’s inhumanity to man.

“There is no way of describing the horror of that camp. It was totally unbelievable,” said Tonkin, in a tape recording made nearly 40 years later that will be broadcast for the first time in my BBC series about the wartime SAS.

Edited by ordnance

I was a member of the Artist's Rifles club (SAS Regimental shooting Club) at Bisley for many years. A lot of the old timers were actually very quiet unassuming men.

I would agree watching it tonight and the interviews with the originals. I was thinking how they talked and looked like gentlemen that wouldn't hurt a fly, just shows looks can be deceiving. I think they are in Europe in next weeks episode.

Edited by ordnance