Nice afternoon on OSR

WinchesterDave

Had a phone call off a school friend the other day - 'I've bought a field behind your house and planted OSR, I haven't the time to shoot the pigeons do you want to shoot it?'

I had to think long and hard! But decided on saying yes, lol.

Anyway; went for a wander to check it out after the phone call, see what the birds where doing and where is best to set up and see where the boundaries are etc.

I can see the field from the back of the house so when I got up this morning I got the binos out and was watching it from

The window - loads down and sat around the field so I thought that's it I'm off lol.

Set up and within half an hour shot 6!:) finsihed on 22 in 3 hours and picked 19! My best personal record, so I'm happy.

Going to keep my eye on it and give it ago if they build back up :) I'm happy!

Funnily enough, a fair few weeks ago I was watching hundreds of pigeon on it and I was saying to my dad it'd be good to shoot that field lol.

FE462EB9-2E73-41B9-8CBD-CC309D7D829B_zps

Atb,

Dave

Well done for getting a P B and gaining a new permission , there cant be many people who can keep an eye on there shooting land from the comfort of there bedroom window :good: , GOOD LUCK and I hope your P Bs keep increasing .

Cheers mate :)

Yes it's perfect ha might watch it with a cuppa next time too lol!! ;)

you might want to use a net next time mate, you might shoot more :lol::lol:

good work mate :good::good:

Thank you mate :good:

The net was already packed away haha it worked wonders today haha!

Well done Dave, a good result, but if you get addicted to this pigeon shooting lark, then put a proper shooting seat on your Xmas list, those collapsible camping chairs are so hard to shoot from, Teal on this forum will be happy to sell you a new Bergara seat, much more comfy.. :yes:

Cat.

Well done for your PB , it can only get better as you can view the field and decide when and where the pigeons want to be. You will be the envy of us all on the forum. Did the birds come to the pattern or were they spooky as we assume you will be the only shooter you can try different methods with out shooting to see what works then use it when you shoot. Good look.

Well done for your PB , it can only get better as you can view the field and decide when and where the pigeons want to be. You will be the envy of us all on the forum. Did the birds come to the pattern or were they spooky as we assume you will be the only shooter you can try different methods with out shooting to see what works then use it when you shoot. Good look.

Thank you pc! :good: The birds were coming in to the pattern. Single ones were coming in close To have a look and groups of 4/5 were coming in to get in it that makes sense - made good shooting :good:

When you say different methods what do you mean? To the right of the picture is a single prominent small tree which the birds where using - I've only 4 full bodied decoys ATM so put one in the tree, one on top of the hedge (because that's what the birds where doinf) and two on the rape. I then just added the dead birds to the pattern on the floor in a random manner - don't know if that is right or wrong but it seemed to work.

I've not had a massive amount of experience with decoying so I'm hoping this little permission will give me some more experience :)

Cheers,

Dave

Thank you pc! :good: The birds were coming in to the pattern. Single ones were coming in close To have a look and groups of 4/5 were coming in to get in it that makes sense - made good shooting :good:

When you say different methods what do you mean? To the right of the picture is a single prominent small tree which the birds where using - I've only 4 full bodied decoys ATM so put one in the tree, one on top of the hedge (because that's what the birds where doinf) and two on the rape. I then just added the dead birds to the pattern on the floor in a random manner - don't know if that is right or wrong but it seemed to work.

I've not had a massive amount of experience with decoying so I'm hoping this little permission will give me some more experience :)

Cheers,

Dave

Dave, you can see if the birds will be attracted to the rear of your garden by setting up decoys with Landers/ Angels. You have started the right way by setting up by the tree the birds are using. With the field at the rear you can try lots of methods and use the most effective when you shoot. All the very best.