Will they come....

scott78

Hi

having dented the local squirrel population my sights have turned to pigeons. I have got a set of decoys and read the tips on this forum for setting the layout etc. I have thrown some grain on the gass to give them something to make them come back for more. The problem is after 4 days i am yet to see a bird on the ground.

I only have 6 decoys, is it a case of not having enough and more is better? should i just leave the decoys out and wait?

any help appreciated.

Scott

Have you seen pigeons using this grass field or is it just in hope they will find your corn? If it is you could be waiting a very long time.

If they are coming to the grass field 6 decoys will pull them but 10 or 12 would be better.

With regards to it being illegal to bait a field, I have never seen any laws that would back this up, unless someone knows differently.

I think that this is covered under the general licence conditions that the birds have to be doing real damage that isn't being stopped by flags and bangers ECT and other methods. So be thoughtful. The OP and others need to go and do a bit of a read up in the search area so that they know what the score is before potentially committing an offence. We have a bird feeder and the amount of pigeon that are coming down to feed on the grain spilt by the starlings is a lot. Should I be so inclined I could shoot a dozen a day by using an air rifle out of the window but it would be unsporting and unlawful because their not doing any harm out on agricultural crops. It would be like shooting the blackbirds or the robin.

I think that this is covered under the general licence conditions that the birds have to be doing real damage that isn't being stopped by flags and bangers ECT and other methods. So be thoughtful. The OP and others need to go and do a bit of a read up in the search area so that they know what the score is before potentially committing an offence. We have a bird feeder and the amount of pigeon that are coming down to feed on the grain spilt by the starlings is a lot. Should I be so inclined I could shoot a dozen a day by using an air rifle out of the window but it would be unsporting and unlawful because their not doing any harm out on agricultural crops. It would be like shooting the blackbirds or the robin.

I would like to see the link to this illegal act and are we are all breaking the law when we shoot pigeons on flight lines, roost shooting and shooting on stubble fields in summer, where pigeons are doing no harm?

Take your pick there's a fair bit to choose from. As far as I know we should print off the relevant section and carry it when we're out shooting, although I very much doubt that anyone does or anyone has ever been required to show it. I know that I never have. This topic has been covered on here several times such as this. You can go on the DEFRA site or the gov site.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/335397-general-licence/?hl=%2Bgeneral+%2Blicence

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/general-licences-for-wildlife-management#birds

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-take-or-kill-to-prevent-damage-or-disease

Edited by fortune

But where does it say it is illegal to bait a field?

I am sure there would be a cut off point somewhere , where , I don't know , but it wouldn't surprize me if the commercial pigeon guides haven't baited the odd field with left over seed at some time or other.

We had about a quarter ton of bean seed left laying about in the grain store that the farm no longer wanted a few years back , rather than dump it I told them I would clear it up , at the time I had some splashes on the marsh that were getting the attention of a few duck , so each night I went down there I took a bucket of bean seed with me , this went on for a couple of weeks or more and to tell yer the truth I didn't see any extra duck only more and more Swans each time I went down there.

After about a month I gave it up as a waste of time , the Swans were increasing daily and if anything there were less duck than before I started to feed it , I was also getting a bit worried about any seed that wasn't eaten might germinate and the field end up full of beans instead of grass :lol:

I am sure there would be a cut off point somewhere , where , I don't know , but it wouldn't surprize me if the commercial pigeon guides haven't baited the odd field with left over seed at some time or other.

We had about a quarter ton of bean seed left laying about in the grain store that the farm no longer wanted a few years back , rather than dump it I told them I would clear it up , at the time I had some splashes on the marsh that were getting the attention of a few duck , so each night I went down there I took a bucket of bean seed with me , this went on for a couple of weeks or more and to tell yer the truth I didn't see any extra duck only more and more Swans each time I went down there.

After about a month I gave it up as a waste of time , the Swans were increasing daily and if anything there were less duck than before I started to feed it , I was also getting a bit worried about any seed that wasn't eaten might germinate and the field end up full of beans instead of grass :lol:

feeding ducks, we had a flight pond and we used to feed them boxes of old bananas, it used to pull a lot of ducks but we never had a banana tree grow from them. :lol:

I guess if you look at the rules by which we can shoot pigeons then I wonder how many of use have tried all other means before shooting pigeons? :hmm:

Like I said I have never seen anything that says it is illegal to bait a field for pigeons and yes it does go on.