Argentina 2017

Mungler

We are looking to take the whole lodge for 10 people next years for 3 days shooting and that is looking like USD2,000 per head, plus flight (USD1000 ish for premium economy return and connections), plus cartridges (I was in at USD2000) and plus tips.

So in round numbers I reckon it's USD5000 to USD6000 a head which at current exchange rates is GBP£4,000 to GBP£4,800 (and which is about the same as a 100 bird day give or take beaters' and keeper's tips etc).

Obviously, if the dollar gets a smack and goes back to something like 1.5 to the pound (where it was at the start of 2016), then it's down to being in the GBP3's.

It's some shooting though; there were a load of yanks in our group (who were fantastic company) and the total shots for the group over 3 days was 29,450.

I presume this is shooting doves?

29,450 cartridges between 10 shooters = 2945 cartridges per person over 3 days = 981 cartridges per day and 164 cartridges per hour over 6 hours, I bet you could light your fag on those barrels :lol:

I am glad that you enjoyed it but it would be too expensive for me. What was the cartridge to bird ratio?

I would much sooner sit on a quiet marsh but its a good job we are not all the same.

Good pictures by the way.

Hcc

Our group's ratio was 60% and there were 17,500 birds shot.

The US chaps shot more than us with FAC 12G semi autos.

It sounds trite but we did go for more testing birds and less 'dinner plates'.

By the end of it, we were knocking them off at 60 yards and with ease. I reckon that trip has done wonders for my game shooting.

And as for the quantity, you would not believe how big and flat Argentina is (the country is just a massive farm) or how many doves there are - there are billions. Because of the climate the average single bird breeds up to 6 times a year we were told, and the farmers welcome the shooters.

I know it's not going to be everyone's cuppa, but I have to say it was awesome - it's not just the shooting but the food, the wine, the sunshine and the company - we met a great bunch of Yanks and hope to be shooting tannerite in Oklahoma City soon!

Our group's ratio was 60% and there were 17,500 birds shot.

The US chaps shot more than us with FAC 12G semi autos.

It sounds trite but we did go for more testing birds and less 'dinner plates'.

By the end of it, we were knocking them off at 60 yards and with ease. I reckon that trip has done wonders for my game shooting.

And as for the quantity, you would not believe how big and flat Argentina is (the country is just a massive farm) or how many doves there are - there are billions. Because of the climate the average single bird breeds up to 6 times a year we were told, and the farmers welcome the shooters.

I know it's not going to be everyone's cuppa, but I have to say it was awesome - it's not just the shooting but the food, the wine, the sunshine and the company - we met a great bunch of Yanks and hope to be shooting tannerite in Oklahoma City soon!

It sounds fantastic to be honest and hope to see more pictures of your exploits :good:

We didn't take our own guns as we had an extra few days tacked on to "do" Buenos Aires and lugging shotguns around was just too much aggro.

The guns we hired out there were brand new Beretta 20g o/u silver pigeons. There were semi auto 20g's and 12g's on offer (I think they were Benellis).

If you get a chance to go, then grab it.

I think we got lucky with the weather, the group of people who went, the organisation we went with, the travel agent we used etc.

We did hear of one group who went out in the rainy season, got rained in, didn't fire a shot and then who had to charter a private helicopter to get them out and back to the airport. Now that wouldn't have been any fun at all :lol:

I know a couple of people who have been, and to be fair, i always thought it would cost more than that!

It's near the top of my bucket list along with Spanish Partridges.

AB

It's a long way to go and it's worth making use of the air flight to look around.

If I didn't have other commitments I would have done it in conjunction with a 2 week stint round South America.

We were thinking of doing a stop at Rio on the way out, but given the pictures coming back from Rio with the Olympics we gave it a swerve because the place looked like a **** hole! We settled for Buenos Aires instead and I rather liked the place. I have to say that all the women are knock out to look at :lol:

Good report and now your hooked. Spoken to a few lads over the years who have gone and shot doves there and they all do the same, start off at a few days shooting in a week long trip. Next time they do more shooting and partying after at the BBQ, then a longer trip shooting more in a day for more days and end up bruised to hell and sicken themselves of shooting for a while after.

Sticking to shorter trips I think is the way to go, always leave wanting to do more.

A grand day for a shooting holiday ain't cheap so can't blame you sacking off English game days.