If You Were Resricted To One Type Of Fieldsport ???

marsh man

I know a lot of members take part in more than one type of shooting , as a few examples , Mr JDog enjoy pigeon shooting and game shooting , motty , pigeon and wildfowling , P C , pigeon shooting and in the past fresh water fishing , 6.5x55SE wildfowling and deer stalking , and I am sure there are 100s of members who take part in two or more field sports.

If heavens forbid and we were restricted to just type of shooting , such as , game , fowling , pigeon , clay or any type of rifle or even air rifle shooting , what would yours be ???

In my case if it was seasonable it would be easy as I enjoy fowling in the winter and pigeon shooting before and after the wildfowling season , but that isn't my question .

I dare say wild fowling would have took priority for most of my shooting life followed a close second place with pigeon shooting , whereas these last few years old age is beginning to take affect and sitting down the marsh in all weathers in the winter is not as appealing as it once was and I cant see it returning as the years tick over at an alarming rate .

So after thinking long and hard , if I was restricted to one form of shooting it would now be .

PIGEON SHOOTING

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting post.

Yes I enjoy lots of field sports and in addition to those on your list I have ridden to hounds and shot a fair few red and roe deer.

Now a good day's pigeon shooting in the company of a friend would be my choice. Sadly I have no friends or pigeons.

Like Marsh man, I too am not in the first flush of youth and have enjoyed mainly sea fishing and rough shooting with wildfowling in my youth and latterly inland duck shooting. Driven pheasant shooting has so far evaded my attention, mainly through lack of opportunity and finance. Not that I have any regrets as I have experienced in my earlier days, walking up acres upon acres of stubble in pursuit of the English 'common' grey partridge and shooting curlew and all the waders once on the quarry list. This is now unavailable to present day shooters so I consider myself very fortunate.

But back to the original question, it has to be pigeon shooting for me. The cream of which has to be flighting or roost shooting. Decoying is a close second.

OB

An interesting post.

Yes I enjoy lots of field sports and in addition to those on your list I have ridden to hounds and shot a fair few red and roe deer.

Now a good day's pigeon shooting in the company of a friend would be my choice. Sadly I have no friends or pigeons.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ...Billy no mates

got to be pigeonshooting...

Pigeon shooting for me also, as with old boggy, flighting and roosting is the best. If heaven forbid wooodpigeons became extinct i would probably give up my shotguns and use my air rifle for rabbits/vermin which comes a close second. I enjoy the fieldcraft/ stalking side of that.

If i could no longer shoot at all, i would return to my Pike fishing. Another obsession of mine.

Now days it would be clay shooting. I love the social side. The comps. The friendly rivalry and the sheer convenience of it

Me too, it's as you say the social side, the craic and friendly banter.....

Good scores are nice but not the be all and end all, but I do know some that think that's everything

:shaun:

tough choice possibly impossible to answer. i regularly stalk on my own. shoot vermin with air rifle. fox calling and baiting. rabbit shooting with rimfire. rough shooting over my dogs. trapping different types of vermin throughout the year.

but probably the best bit is my ferreting to have my dad who is 75 my boys 3 and 7 involved in something so safe the worst that can happen is a nettle sting. but the excitement of the the whole team working and a rabbit as the reward takes some beating

Very good and hard question to answer this John.

I've been very very lucky and enjoyed some fantastic Shooting with shotguns and rifles taking many species of birds and mammals. Obviously seasons do dictate but i let the weather time of year tide's etc push me to stalking or Wildfowling this morning i was stalking Fallow in fresh falling snow shooting two doe's but had there been a slight chance of a shot would I'd have been on the Foreshore ????????

Will admit early morning creek hopping stuck in Mud really takes its toll these days But at the moment i still feel .........

WILDFOWLING for me

Thanks for all your replies , very varied and interesting , I have never had the opportunity to shoot Grouse , and now I rarely go outside of Norfolk I doubt I ever will , but I have done a fair bit of sea fishing , Hare coursing when the Swaffham Hare Coursing Club used to come down ours , following the Waveney Harries , driven Grey Partridge shooting and helped out on 100s of game shooting days . but I think as far as shooting goes , Pigeon shooting have not only got every shot in the book , it have got many more we never knew existed and are still trying to work out how to connect with. so I think Pigeon shooting will head the list . although that's not to say every type of field sports have its devoted followers .