If You Were Resricted To One Type Of Fieldsport ???

marsh man

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't done it for over 10 years but I really did enjoy going bolting bunnies with ferrets and shotgun. Also really enjoy decoying corvids with the air rifle. Really enjoyed sitting up the high seat waiting for mr fox. Really enjoy having rough walk with a few mates putting up woodcock etc. Which do I enjoy the most? Can't decide as I love it all and the diversity of shooting is what makes it so great. So shooting is my favourite.

There have been years where I've not shot clays, left the crows alone, not had a lot of pigeon shooting, or a lot of game shooting ..... but the one that I always look forwards to the start of, and keep my eyes peeled on the weather for 6 months of the year is fowling.

Walked miles to knock some Drake pinnies over in a northerly snowstorm this week ...... magic!

I love just about anything fieldsport related , but if I was restricted to just one arm of the sport , I think it would be rabbiting with the rimfire.

This .

25 years on the bunnies and still love it. I'd love to know my head count.

I used to sit all day for a single bunny with the air rifle as a kid

Edited by team tractor

We talking about this on one of our last beating days two lads who both stalk roe locally said that would be there choice as it's just them there rifle and there field craft, which made sense, I love fishing and especially summer tench but haven't made time for that in ages, air rifles would also be hard to give up but I'd say pigeon decoying would be my choice, I'd like to include roost shooting in that!

I think in general, we have all got a love of the countryside with what it have to offer and to be able to have the freedom to spend most of our free time doing something we enjoy is just an added bonus .

What I really enjoy the most, is the type of field sport that involve field craft such at wildfowling where you can use adverse weather conditions to your advantage and to try and work out what the fowl are doing before they know them selves .

Same with pigeon shooting , when you read and digest P C weekly reports you realise there is a lot more to it than finding a likely field and putting out a spread of decoys and hope you will make a decent bag , although even P C sometimes get it wrong , not very often mind you , but with field craft you will never know it all and you will never stop learning about it .

What a good question having done most field sports including driven game shooting rough shooting pigeon shooting catching rabbits with ferrets and lurchers fox control with terriers deer stalking hare coursing before stupid law came in. The one for me is wild fowling shooting geese with a double barrel 8 bore that was made when queen Victoria was on the throne the smell of black powder the flash of fire and the splash when it hits the water.Also punt gunning putting yourself up against the weather conditions in a small craft stalking the ducks for over an hour laid flat out with your hands submerged in freezing cold water while paddling then when your in range pull the lanyard boom a cloud of smoke when it clears your spoils of the stalk ready to retrieve fantastic.

There have been years where I've not shot clays, left the crows alone, not had a lot of pigeon shooting, or a lot of game shooting ..... but the one that I always look forwards to the start of, and keep my eyes peeled on the weather for 6 months of the year is fowling.

Walked miles to knock some Drake pinnies over in a northerly snowstorm this week ...... magic!

Nice!

I stopped shooting in 2015 SG/FAC but if I had to pick one (and it's a type of shoot I've never done but wish I had) it would be Wildfowling.There is something about these blokes that is head and shoulders above the rest.I love to read their posts,they are just so knowledgable and passionate about their quarry but display the same passion for their environment they shoot in.

Edited by Davyo

What a good question having done most field sports including driven game shooting rough shooting pigeon shooting catching rabbits with ferrets and lurchers fox control with terriers deer stalking hare coursing before stupid law came in. The one for me is wild fowling shooting geese with a double barrel 8 bore that was made when queen Victoria was on the throne the smell of black powder the flash of fire and the splash when it hits the water.Also punt gunning putting yourself up against the weather conditions in a small craft stalking the ducks for over an hour laid flat out with your hands submerged in freezing cold water while paddling then when your in range pull the lanyard boom a cloud of smoke when it clears your spoils of the stalk ready to retrieve fantastic.

A man of my own heart b p g , some of my happiest time was being afloat with only the elements to worry about and being in control of your success and failures , sadly punt gunning is now a thing of the past down our way, but good to you if you are still carrying on the tradition , and long may it continue.

Does it have to be shooting, can I not say "working my dog" I enjoy that more than pulling the trigger.

ips You can say what you like , as long as its not offensive :yes: , good luck working your dog or dogs.

I stopped shooting in 2015 SG/FAC but if I had to pick one (and it's a type of shoot I've never done but wish I had) it would be Wildfowling.There is something about these blokes that is head and shoulders above the rest.I love to read their posts,they are just so knowledgable and passionate about their quarry but display the same passion for their environment they shoot in.

Very nicely put Davyo :good: