Caliber Dilemma !

Snoozer

Ok i'm fed up with waiting for my SGC to come through so going to purchase an Air rifle tommorow to keep me occupied :rolleyes:

Can't decide which caliber thou .177 or .22

Mainly it'll get used for target plinking probably over On Target Brackmills Northampton but i might be shooting Rats at some point in the near future.

Leaning towards .177 but maybe the .22 is a better Rat stopper ?

The Target shooting range is set up at 25yds so i should be ok with the .22 at that distance (Parabolic curve)

Views please :)

At range both calibers have around the same energy but .177 travels faster with a flatter trajectory so less hold over required. I was a .22 man for decades but now prefer .177 in PCP but I still go for .22 in a springer.

.177 will still kill a rat even to the body. Look at the size of the pellet in comparison to a rat, it's a big hole like a human being hit with a cannon ball.

At range both calibers have around the same energy but .177 travels faster with a flatter trajectory so less hold over required. I was a .22 man for decades but now prefer .177 in PCP but I still go for .22 in a springer.

.177 will still kill a rat even to the body. Look at the size of the pellet in comparison to a rat, it's a big hole like a human being hit with a cannon ball.

Cheers Figgy.

I've gone for a Weihrauch HW100S in .177

Hawk Eclipse 4-16x50 AO IR Mil Dot

Now for the Pellets that suite it best lol

Start with JSB Exact Diablo 8.4 and work my way out :)

Edited by Snoozer

Cheers Figgy.

I've gone for a Weihrauch HW100S in .177

Hawk Eclipse 4-16x50 AO IR Mil Dot

Now for the Pellets that suite it best lol

Start with JSB Exact Diablo 8.4 and work my way out :)

The HW guns like H&N so give them a try too. Try and get a sample pack of the H&N pellets and see what groups best then stick with them. My Daystate likes the JSB exacts

I don't get this rebranding thing, I use Kaiser pellets yet the H&N group like a shot gun. Both pellets made in the same factory.

Sorry there is a different die being used between the two. So there must be different dies being used at JSB after all Air arms,FX Daystate sovereign and others all a certain form of the JSB pellet. No gimmick in my opinion.

I always shot .22 and then switched to .177 and instantly regretted it. Hw95k would head shot rabbits but got too many that would jump and run and often made it to ground, same distance as I would shoot with a 22 .

Maybe you were shooting the ears. Not had one run on when my 177 hits them.

I like the .22 (FAC) as the pellets are easier in the cold but 177 sub 12 is the way to go.

I use both calibers, my rifles have the same power ave 11.4/5ftlb ..depending on pellet weight I would choose the .22 at distance. About pellets the weight stated on the tin doesn't mean that's what they actually weigh as most know. I have found lately that H&N BARACUDA EXTREME HUNTER 9.57g.177 are 9.3 and less and a guy I know has found the same with his H&N's all my RWS have been weight spot on. Personally I prefer ratting with .22.

cheers

MM

Edited by madmax666

CODSWALLOP, killed hundreds of bunnies with my two .20 airguns one

is a rapid ,the other a daystate huntsman out to 50 yds no problem

ps i shoot all calibres from .177 to .303, its not the size that matters

its ACCURACY at all times!!!!

regds brian

As happyshooter says, accuracy kills. all the calibres will do the job if you put the shot in the right place. :good: