Roost shooting

blankfirer

Sounds like an easy £100 made by whoever you paid for it....I expect the guys stood in front of you paid another £100? Did you approach them at all?

I'd make it known how unimpressed you are but more than likely just chalk it up as a bad experience, £100 isn't the end of the world I suppose but I wouldn't want to pay that unless I really knew it would be decent roost shooting (which I think is few and far between).

I agree entirely with the above posts , £100 is a lot of money for roost shooting , on most places if you had helped out in any way during the shooting season then roost shooting is normally a perk , or if there is a charge ( like there is on ours £20 for four Saturdays ) it always go to a local charity , which this year is going to a young lad who done some work on the estate and have now sadly got terminal cancer .

Most of our woods only have one or two guns shooting at any one time as the object of the exercise is to keep pigeons on the move and it pointless putting more than two in one smallish wood and another two fields over is left unoccupied .

So , I think you were treated unfairly and it wont do no harm to have a word with the organiser . GOOD LUCK

It's a bit unclear as to how many woods & shooters there are here, & who turned up late the first week? If there is only one wood,no matter what size, then it is not going to shoot two weeks running.Your 'guide' (who happily took too much money off you) should be rotating & resting his roost woods with a minimum of three weeks between shoots to get a likelyhood of sport. Two people in any wood is enough - the birds will flight in on paths as with any other pigeon shooting & weather conditions,but to put two more 'strangers ' in the same area is not on.For instance they may know the wood & likely flightlines etc.. & may well feel a resentment towards two other men shooting;They would then go for the best spots.You 'defo need to speak to both them & your guide to sort out the ground rules.Don't let him 'fob you off with the same wood each week ,that is not OK.

Worth a word even if you walk away otherwise someone else is going to get the same ride next year?

This maybe a communication problem so I would not jump to negative conclusions. And shooting the same wood every week in Saturday is normal round here. Most woods are not shot until after the pheasant season and then only the Saturdays in February ...... if plenty of guns out then the pigeons keep moving ....... but I wouldn't pay for roost shooting !