Too much cartridge for duck?

Guest cookoff013

Guest cookoff013

ok,

guys..... i just finished a reloading series and i absolutuely love feedback on the data.

one of the first things a like to chat with people are cartridges. what is considered good or bad for whatever reason.

the first question is,

Q; is 36g of powershot maybe #6 too much for duck? loads are approx 1250fps at 2.5M, i`m not too sure whats recognised as decent, with the newer / newest nontoxics hw-13-15-18.

essentially i just concentrate on the 1" in the chamber, thats where 99% of what i do concerns. i`ve used bismuth in the past on game , changed to steel, but havent made the jump to high cost shot. i tested copper, itx and powershot and niceshot.

bismuth and copper i got 28gram in a 3"

itx 29 gram, and 32g of bismuth and niceshot.

all these loads are about the same speed / load out, but at the extreme of my testing was 25g steel and a large charge of powershot13. i did not really envisage what uses the shells would be great for, because the test was severely geard to internal ballistic "playtime".

is 25g steel 1450fps #2 used commonly?

is 36g powershot13 #6 1200fps ultimate for duck?

is 29g itx at 1400fps suitable as a light game load.

what would be the maximum yardage you`d take a premium nontoxic....

i`m slightly annoyed niceshot is not sold by clay and game now, as i just tested some.

For me, 25gm steel 2 is a little low on pellet count for long range ducks.

Whether or not the 36 gm powershot load is the 'ultimate' for duck is debateable. I think it would be very good, but too costly for ducks. Yesterday I had a flight at ducks where I shot 20+ cartridges. That is a very normal number for a duck flight for me, and I wouldn't want to fork out for 20+ powershot loads per session. I take it it's the 2.8mm you have?

I have used 46gm of buffered HW13 2s on duck, when I forgot to change shells. They are very good.

I'm sure a 29gm load of ITX would make a reasonable game load.

Maximum yardage for premium non-toxic shot? Quite a lot, I imagine.

Edited by motty

Guest cookoff013

For me, 25gm steel 2 is a little low on pellet count for long range ducks.

Whether or not the 36 gm powershot load is the 'ultimate' for duck is debateable. I think it would be very good, but too costly for ducks. Yesterday I had a flight at ducks where I shot 20+ cartridges. That is a very normal number for a duck flight for me, and I wouldn't want to fork out for 20+ powershot loads per session. I take it it's the 2.8mm you have?

I have used 46gm of buffered HW13 2s on duck, when I forgot to change shells. They are very good.

I'm sure a 29gm load of ITX would make a reasonable game load.

Maximum yardage for premium non-toxic shot? Quite a lot, I imagine.

the steel #2 are us #2 and about 110pellets per 25gram or so (thats a guess).

the 36g loads would be with a #6 standard 2.8 ish mm.

the 29g of itx was quite a suprise really with the loading data...,. that stuff could be great value..

yeah, the 25g steel load was for cheap. its funny old stuff really.

the steel #2 are us #2 and about 110pellets per 25gram or so (thats a guess).

the 36g loads would be with a #6 standard 2.8 ish mm.

the 29g of itx was quite a suprise really with the loading data...,. that stuff could be great value..

yeah, the 25g steel load was for cheap. its funny old stuff really.

I like ITX 10 in uk 4's, 32 to 36 gm for the few ducks and greylag i see

I have used HW13 in #2 and #4 for a couple of seasons on geese and it is devastating stuff when pointed in the right direction, I have no doubt that in a #6 it would be a great duck load and I'm sure you could drop down to more like 30grams, you wouldn't want to fire many shots though £$€ !!

I see you also mention HW18; i have had a few discussions about this stuff recently and the reports on it are incredible. The cost would be utterly prohibitive as Wayne says....... but if one had money to burn.......... i suspect something like 30grams of HW18 no 7's or 8's would be a devastating duck load out to very long ranges

Guest cookoff013

i hear #9 tss18 is best due to pellet count.

the problem with the stuff is getting quality data. i have the old sabot load data, but would be more inclined to create my own with european hills.