Are you legal?

Red-dot

I heard via a friend that police are targeting new housing developments checking if car owners and drivers have updated their new address on their licence, insurance and V5. If not they sieze the car and easy money fines.

Double check or get siezed!

PS SGC & FAC too....

Edited by Red-dot

It was a police officer who told me that a licence that showed incorrect information is an offence to the point of it becoming invalid.

Well, if we know one thing on here it's that police officers don't always know the law.

Bear in mind that I showed the officer my old fashioned pink driving license, not a new photo ID style one. I'd been stopped for having no MoT (not my fault, company vehicle).

I recently changed this to a new style license and on the application form stated that I'd been living at my current address for about 6 years. No comeback whatsoever (although if I'd told them I moved out of the adress on my old license in 1994 they may have been less forgiving).

Don't believe everything your told.

By this i should add that most days there's plenty to do that doesn't involve touring new estates to do checks you have no power to do to enforce crimes that probably haven't happened in efforts to chase motorists for things not many people (other than dave doen the pub who heard it so it must be true) care about.

In fact its so ridiculous that I wonder if he read it in a certain publication next to the article about the queen being an alien reptile or some other such nonsense.

Edited by GingerCat

I heard via a friend that police are targeting new housing developments checking if car owners and drivers have updated their new address on their licence, insurance and V5. If not they sieze the car and easy money fines.

Double check or get siezed!

PS SGC & FAC too....

Always nice to see the police being proactive in the fight against crime. :whistling:

Edited by Westward

The police can't seize a car because you haven't changed your address,how rediculous.You can get find by DVLA but other than that your desingnetory details are of no interest to the police.However any responsible person would update their address regardless whether they drive or not.Insurance could be important and it may effect your premium for example moving to a dodgy postcode of going from having a garage to having to park on the street.Police simply don't have the resources or the money to waste time like this.And if it's uninsured vehicles they are after because insurance companies have cancelled insurance because of no address notification.Then driving around estates when people are sitting on their sofas and not in their cars isn't an offence.Thats what NPR cameras are for ! to catch you driving out on the road.

Edited by Davyo

OK.... from what i was told by a traffic officer of some 25 years.

A campaign was enforced for officers to target residents of new areas of housing development in regard to drivers updating their licence details etc. A new resident must update their address on their licence, V5 and insurance if not these entitlements are invalid and a invalid licence means your insurance is void and the car can be siezed on the spot.....

Now point out which part of the above is "rediculous"?

A campaign was enforced for officers to target residents of new areas of housing development in regard to drivers updating their licence details etc. A new resident must update their address on their licence, V5 and insurance if not these entitlements are invalid and a invalid licence means your insurance is void and the car can be siezed on the spot.....

What's ridiculous is the waste of police resources. If they've got that much spare time on their hands why don't they just send out a letter reminding people of their obligations when moving house? You know, like normal people would.

Ignorance of the law is no defence.

Perhaps, but the way the police cherry pick which aspects of the law they 'uphold' and which they overlook is frustrating in the extreme. Once again it's an example of the police themselves, rather than either the public or the government, deciding what their priorities are. Moving house is one of the four most stressful events that can happen in life and it's also extremely busy, especially for people with children, jobs, schools and hundreds of other things. Why can't the police understand that they would be a lot less unpopular with the public if they advised people on how to avoid breaking the law rather than waiting until they've broken it and then punishing them.

There's a vast difference between normal householders who commit trivial infringements through being remiss in updating their paperwork and real criminals like burglars, thieves, drug dealers and sex traffickers who simply sneer and laugh at the police for being so disinterested.

At the topic is "Are you legal" may I take this opportunity to also point out that the modern photo id driving licence also has an expiry date (4b) they now only last to a max of 20 years, irrespective of the holders address.

Older drivers can easily get caught out as my last renewal only lasted 4 years!!

As has been pointed out, no valid driving license, invalid insurance.

Your insurance is not invalid so they cannot seize the car.

Insurance companies are obliged under the Road Traffic Act to meet the costs of any claim by a third party for injury or damage regardless of whether you break the law or in breach of your policy.

So the fact that you were at fault by not keeping the address correct will not invalidate claims made by any third party and as a result the insurance still meets the minimum legal requirement regardless, hence the insurance is still valid for third parties.

However, the insurers are entitled to claim third party costs back from you and refuse to pay out to the policy holder for their loss or give notice that the insurance is cancelled.

The insurer has to give enough notice that they were going to cancel the policy and given the serious consequences of driving without insurance the insurer has to take reasonable steps to make sure their customer know their policy has been cancelled. If they don't don't do this they will be ordered to pay hefty compensation by the financial ombudsman.

But without notice that the insurance is cancelled the car cannot be seized by the police as it is still insured .

From the Herald Newspaper

Old news they where doing it in 2012

No mention of seizing cars

Officers can stop a driver and ask to see his licence without suspecting that an offence has been committed. Getting caught with an outdated address can result in either a warning or a report being sent to the procurator fiscal.

Edited by Davyo