Amounts of ground to certain calibers

raphael262

It's all very vague just like the rest of firearms legislation. I've got 600 acres that's mainly flat with awful backstops but then I've got another 250 acres that's nearly got a backstop and safe shot from any angle except straight up in the air! If you feo isn't a **** and you can explain backstops and safe areas to shoot etc then 200 acres is plenty. You can only try and see.

Why is p r a t censored?!

Hi,

Do you have quarry on the ground that requires the use of a .243, for instance foxes or some deer. One of the pieces I have as a perm is only 120 acres but it has foxes and transient deer and is cleared up to .270, but as above it is surrounded by hills so whichever way you shoot there is a backstop.

Atb Scobydog

Hi,

Do you have quarry on the ground that requires the use of a .243, for instance foxes or some deer. One of the pieces I have as a perm is only 120 acres but it has foxes and transient deer and is cleared up to .270, but as above it is surrounded by hills so whichever way you shoot there is a backstop.

Atb Scobydog

Wher i am they wont give you a 243 just for Foxing you got to have deer on ground

Edited by Rim Fire

Layout of the ground and position of surrounding dwellings will matter more than size. I've had 140 acres of completely flat ground next to the M5 cleared for 6.5x55 in the past, but high seats were required. At the same time, as above, I've heard of gardens being cleared when there's a real need to shoot there.

Best I ever heard was my old FEO telling me he'd cleared a small courtyard in the middle of town for an old lady, well in her 70's, who wanted a .22lr to shoot foxes that were eating her chickens. He said he'd passed it on the condition that she only fired from her bedroom window and advised she didn't shoot them when they were on the paved area?! At the time I thought he was mad. Now I have more experience and an open ticket I've done the same myself a number of times. With experience you will get a feel for what's right and what isn't. As long as there's a soft bit of ground or even a manufactured backstop to stop the bullet if you can't get up in the air (ton sacks of sand or soft soil work) then you can let a shot go pretty much anywhere.

The answer is yes, but always have a well prepared scenario for the FEO. Have your shooting plan written down, with positions of high seats and also areas and angles where you would never take a shot from. Known of an FEO suggesting a motorway embankment was safe but my friend immediately said in no way would he ever take a shot there. Also condition of soil, nice loamy ground or typical Lincolnshire flint. In short, let the FEO know you have thought it through and are well ahead of him/ her when it comes to safe use. Shouldn't be a problem.

Hi,

Atb Scobydog

There's high numbers of foxes and roe deer on this ground , have put down for 22-250 fox foxes and odd muntjac on mates ground but also 243 for deer on this

The answer is yes, but always have a well prepared scenario for the FEO. Have your shooting plan written down, with positions of high seats and also areas and angles where you would never take a shot from. Known of an FEO suggesting a motorway embankment was safe but my friend immediately said in no way would he ever take a shot there. Also condition of soil, nice loamy ground or typical Lincolnshire flint. In short, let the FEO know you have thought it through and are well ahead of him/ her when it comes to safe use. Shouldn't be a problem.[/quot

e]

Someone already holds a 22 and .222 on this ground so has been cleared already for these calibers