New calibre

kyska

Well, I've just dropped the deer rifle to the Gunshop to be sold, I'm not stalking for the foreseeable future and it was also my conditioned cf for fox.

So I'm after a new calibre, I like 'odd' stuff, I've had a .223wssm in the past, and a brief, very arousing affair with a .204, along with .223.

I'm all reloading lab equipped, looking for something that is cheaper and less fiery for the fox.

.204?

.17?

Looking at a .220 swift maybe to satisfy my hobnobbing of calibres, anyone got one?

The 17 is good,

But get some brass 1st, it's rather thin on the ground at the moment.

I was out Friday night thining a few rabbits out, 10 mph wind and still dropping rabbits out to 260yds. Very fox capable too.

The 204 I think will be better for consumables.

222 is quite versatile as stated. I'm using the 17hh at sensible distances on fox with good success, not had anything run (more than 10 yards) so far but placement is likely more critical.

What I like is the noise, or lack of it. It moderates better with a calibre specific unit than the hmr, is way more consistent in accuracy and hits a lot harder, I can use this rifle 40 yards from a window and inside you wouldn't hear a thing.

That said, if it's a dedicated foxing night, I'll reach for the 243 and a 55gn ballistic tip.

Come on guys, he said he likes odd stuff and you are recommending a 204 or a 222? Let's have some fun with it.

A 20-222 would be interesting. 222 brass is common and some bushing dies will neck you down in one pass. Chamber it for a no turn neck and you've got a nice little 20. If you want to go a little further off the beaten path just make it a 17-222. Not quite the oomph of a 17rem but nearly there and a less common. With 25 grain vmax you have a fox thumper that only needs 20 grains of powder or so but is pushing 3500+ fps with a good bullet. I love my 17 hornet but for an extra 5-7 grains of powder you get the same speed with an extra 5 grains of bullet weight and have a rimless cartridge for a bolt gun. Kinda hard to beat.

Rick

Just crazy about the 17 Remington. Have owned and shot the calibre since the mid 80s when it was almost unknown over here.

I also have a 22 Bench Rest. Not difficult to get the 6mmBR cases and easy to just neck down. Awesome on foxes or anything smaller obviously but also exceptional small deer round. Just a bit different. I shoot Nosler Partition 60gr for everything. Recently acquired some Barnes TTSX but then found they will only shoot through a 1-10 or faster barrel but an excellent bullet.

Thought seriously about the 20br before I got a .22 Hornet, the only thing that put me off it was the short barrel life, being a hot round @ 4000 fps barrels tend not to last too long, this was according to quite lot of research I did a while ago, maybe things have changed and someone else can put you right. Saying that I love the Hornet great little round and it can be re loaded quite cheaply.

Atb Scobydog

After ten years of whatever guns I wanted and many oddities among them, I have one lasting piece of advice.

Buy something you can feed with consumables rather than grace your shiny cabinet with.

That's a bit sad though fister, you've had that experience, luckily.

We mortals haven't, so why not add your expert rather than ascerbic opinion forward?