Requested Shooting

pigeon controller

I do not like to be told when to shoot but I have been requested to shoot two farms this weekend mainly due to the fact that the farmers say when I leave the birds return. I leave when the shooting finishes.

So Friday first light, set up under a tree and put two frozen lofters up on poles in the tree. Decided to shoot the hushpower as I had a cocktail of cartridges to get rid off, 28g 71/2, 32 6s and 32 5s all sub sonic.

Well by 10.00 I must have had three to four hundred birds pass over me from roost, I shot like a LEMON and must have missed thirty birds as you would get fifty just close the wings and drop down to the tree and my pattern. I gave myself a good talking to and agreed to shoot the first bird in, pump and then shoot again if I had a good target. This tended to work and at the end of the day I had thirty four birds down. It went dead about 14.00 for thirty minutes and a few came in after that when I packed up at 16.30.

DB left a message that he had family committments today so I went out to the other farm who wanted me to stay and as I drove down to the field I lifted about a hundred birds off the field. I set up with just two birds on the magnet just a yard into the crop and straight away I had birds coming in from behind me wrong way to wind and performing a nice banked turn in front of me, due to the fact they could see the movement of the magnet through the thin ,high hedge. I was set up for 09.30 and by 12.00 I had forty birds down from 12.00 till 17.00 I had a further thirteen birds. Thats why I leave farms when the shooting stops, so I finished up with fiftythree birds but I kept his fields of rape free from birds all day. I was glad to be out as I'd had a bit of a bad week ( See Motoring Section) but I have kept the farmer happy and they will repay me with the Spring Rape.

3a92e21c-a009-4601-b769-08401781a929_zps

840fd576-b6e3-4455-a60e-67bc2f24070f_zps

• 6 months later...

Going off at a tangent, has anyone heard of or had issues with the wrong cartridges being used in a "Drainpipe" or other Hushpower? Was talking with the well respected, world renowned Wabbitbosher today and he said he has had moderated guns in for new baffles due to heavy load shells and advocates 20 - 24 grm loads. I've recently added an over under 20 gauge to my arsenal and got some 24 grm 7s from Rottweiler in the deal and they are blinding...great pattern and a range of 40 - 50 yards no probs, but they are noisey with much more of a crack. Not an issue everywhere I shoot, but now wondering is there a "wrong" Hushpower cartridge?