So how did you pop the question?

iano

I don't get this 'ask the farther' lark.

My GF has a PhD, works hard and even has the right to vote. She isn't a chattal owned by her parents; she, and only she gets to say yes / no

I think asking for the fathers blessing rather than his permission is the idea.

I asked my girlfriend of 7 years where would she like to go for Xmas. Vegas or Sri Lanka. She opted for Vegas. I had the ring in advance and booked a helicopter to fly over the hoover dam and land in the canyon. Proposed there Xmas day. Boxing day we were at the bellagio hotel when we heard about the tsunami hitting the Sri Lanka beaches. Mixed emotions, but mainly felt lucky and happy. Still married to her.still feel lucky and happy.

Edited by Footu

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd had the ring a few weeks, supposed to have happened on the 19th of Dec 2 years to the day of our first dirty weekend, ended up having a dirty weekend elbow deep in turkey blood and guts, grandmother tried keeling over and dying and generally ruining the mood! Left it a few days, we'd been out, had a steady hungover day, went to bed for a bit of a spin and then asked her if she wanted an early Xmas present and bobs your firkin. We're aiming for an August wedding but the venue she wanted is booked from the 1st of May till next year so we're getting married on the 29th of April. 4 months from asking to doing. Hectic is the word!

I'd had the ring a few weeks, supposed to have happened on the 19th of Dec 2 years to the day of our first dirty weekend, ended up having a dirty weekend elbow deep in turkey blood and guts, grandmother tried keeling over and dying and generally ruining the mood! Left it a few days, we'd been out, had a steady hungover day, went to bed for a bit of a spin and then asked her if she wanted an early Xmas present and bobs your firkin. We're aiming for an August wedding but the venue she wanted is booked from the 1st of May till next year so we're getting married on the 29th of April. 4 months from asking to doing. Hectic is the word!

Best most unromantic reply so far 😁

Together nine years, finally living in the same county so both decided it was a good idea. For those of you that know Yorkshire, I went down on one knee late one night on the top of Otley Chevin.

Knelt in dog muck which I believe is supposed to be lucky. Been married 24 years in October.

I started going out with my wife when we were both at school and got engaged when she was in her first year at Durham University. We were just chatting, the marriage question just sort of came up and we both agreed that it was a good idea. When we bought a flat in Guildford a couple of years later (how many 20/22 year olds could do that nowadays?), we just thought we should get married. That was in 1981. We had 35 wonderful years together, she was my best friend too and I miss her terribly after losing her to cancer just after Christmas.

I started going out with my wife when we were both at school and got engaged when she was in her first year at Durham University. We were just chatting, the marriage question just sort of came up and we both agreed that it was a good idea. When we bought a flat in Guildford a couple of years later (how many 20/22 year olds could do that nowadays?), we just thought we should get married. That was in 1981. We had 35 wonderful years together, she was my best friend too and I miss her terribly after losing her to cancer just after Christmas.

Me and my gf of 4 years or so now have just bought a house, I'm 21 she's 19. sorry for your loss

So sorry mate, lifes so cruel sometimes but sounded like you had a good time together with great memory's .

Me and my gf of 4 years or so now have just bought a house, I'm 21 she's 19. sorry for your loss

Thanks, I am very happy for you and wish you both all the very best for your future together. I was very lucky - much more so than so many others and my only advice to you is to make the very best of every opportunity that comes your way.

We went on a holiday to Scotland using tokens out of the sun paper. Cost us £38. I proposed by the river Ayre. She always insisted that she didn't want to be engaged for years on end so we decided to set the date exactly 12 months from the day of proposal. I jokingly suggested we do another sun holiday for the honeymoon and she was up for it. Cost us another £38. What a gal 😀

The stars were twinkling, the mood seemed to be right.

We were sat in an old Fiat 500 (the old, air-cooled, twin cylinder type. Not a passion wagon - there wasn't enough room).

It just happened to be in the car park of a cemetery ....

She has never let me forget it.

Best thing I ever did. That was 40 - odd years ago.

In a rolling road block on the M11 on the way up to the shoot JDog arranged in January, after hearing from the estate agents that my house had been sold (needed the money to pay for it).

The big day is July, 19th at a venue that is surrounded by my syndicate shoot (she comes beating there) and the honeymoon is at the Torridon on the west coast of the Highlands.

Edited by Penelope

In a rolling road block on the M11 on the way up to the JDog arranged in January, after hearing from the estate agents that my house had been sold (needed the money to pay for it).

The big day is July, 19th at a venue that is surrounded by my syndicate shoot (she comes beating there) and the honeymoon is at the Torridon on the west coast of the Highlands.

My gf was 8.5 months pregnant, which I thought improved the odds of a "yes"

I got a letter off her GPS (in secret- they were surprisingly helpful) saying she was fit to fly, packed her bags and drove her to the airport. We had a long weekend in Prague: good food, opera and a proposal up a tower on "Lover's Hill". She said yes, happily married since.

Edited by Bangbangman

All I can say is that you must have been truly, absolutely, excruciatingly desperate, with not an ounce of true romance in your soul....

..it was her idea (so who am I to complain?) and the Fiat 500 was more comfortable than the Triumph Spitfire (soft top).

Edited by Eyefor