Anyone Want Plum Tree Wood

arm3000gt

I wasn't sure where to put this but I will be shortly chopping down a plum tree in my garden. It has never been managed so a mess, a bit diseased and I don't like plums so I've decided to remove it. Does anyone want some of it to turn/make things out of? If not I'll chop and split for the fire just thought I'd ask here first. I live near Newbury.

I will be replacing it with a Red Falstaff apple trees as I hate to get rid of trees if anyone concerned.

Andy

It is free to anyone who can make something useful out of it. I'll not give it away for firewood I can use it for that. I may would even consider dropping some of it off to someone for fuel cost (reasonable distance). I also go back home to see my folks in South Wales occasionally so that might be an option, just ask.

Edited by arm3000gt

If only you were closer.

I'd carve lots of spoons out of it, good wood for spoon carving. :sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1:

How long can it be stored for before it becomes useless? Where in Lincolnshire are you? Wife has family in York could arrange a rendezvous on route North but I can't say when the next trip would be.

How long can it be stored for before it becomes useless? Where in Lincolnshire are you? Wife has family in York could arrange a rendezvous on route North but I can't say when the next trip would be.

With spoons, the greener the better. However, older cut wood can be used, just harder to carve.

I live just east of Louth, about 90 miles from York (wife's son lives in York).

However, we are currently caring for the wife's parents and are living near Spalding.

moondoggy. The tree will be coming down in the next couple of weeks. I will keep a few larger bits aside and send you a message if I'm heading to York. What size and length is good for making spoons?

Great thank you.

Three inch diameter or over, a foot or over in length is fine.

Preferably knot free, if possible.

If there are any branches with bends in them such as this (see below), even better.

These are great for bent spoons and ladles.

crooks7.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly a stupid question.

But can u put wood that is too dry in water to become wetter, does that make carving easier? or has he cell structure changed?

Or can u store it in water/damp conditions to stop it drying out.

I've got a load of cut yew that iu was keeping for someone but been 18months and still not picked it up.

Might be wrth googleig spoon carving or woodcaft? local to u u sometimes get clubs/assoc that might appreciate it.

Sometimes its a shame to convert nice timber into firewood