Woodworking planes

winnie&bezza

Morning all. Looking at getting myself a couple of new planes which would include a new block plane and an edge plane. Looking at veritas ones at the moment but lie Nielsen do a lovely little brass edge plane which is double the price of the veritas edge plane. Also, on rutlands website they do quangshieng (however you spell it) planes which look good and aren't that expensive. Anyone got any of above and could give me an idea on which is best? Cheers

Yeah I've got a Stanley no4 plane and a really old Stanley block plane which hasn't got the fine adjustment I want. Just fancy something nice :-). I know it's a risk though.

Always nice to have a pretty tool.

I've the top end one with the adjustable mouth . I think £65.

I've had it 17 years now.

We look at the £1800 jack planes and wonder what they are like

I've got a nice little lie Nielsen low angle block plane, the blade is thicker and seems to hold its edge a lot longer than my old stanley, the grooves in the back are better machined, the body is ductile iron so is less prone to break, and the pretty bits are ally bronze. when I put it alongside that Stanley it really shows what a piece of poo the Stanley block plane is. also bought a veritas shoulder plane a couple of years ago, it's got some strange alloy blade pmv11 or something like that, anyhoo, it's really sharp, I didn't really need it but I wanted to replace my old Clifton that got stolen along with just about everything else back in 2001, I find myself making up jobs where I need to use it.

A French friend of ours is a time served and apprenticed carpenter. Very good too. His first project at carpentry school was to make a plane. He still has it almost fifty years later and other than the Makita power plane it is the only plane that he owns. I was watching him dressing some old oak beams last week. We had taken them out of an old cottage that must be over 200 years old. They were riddled with woodworm and I thought him mad for asking me to take the nails out as he was going to re-use them. After I'd removed a million old hand made nails he set to work with the power planer, then the old wooden hand one and finally a small sander. The beams are now back in the house and look superb.

I've got a nice little lie Nielsen low angle block plane, the blade is thicker and seems to hold its edge a lot longer than my old stanley, the grooves in the back are better machined, the body is ductile iron so is less prone to break, and the pretty bits are ally bronze. when I put it alongside that Stanley it really shows what a piece of poo the Stanley block plane is. also bought a veritas shoulder plane a couple of years ago, it's got some strange alloy blade pmv11 or something like that, anyhoo, it's really sharp, I didn't really need it but I wanted to replace my old Clifton that got stolen along with just about everything else back in 2001, I find myself making up jobs where I need to use it.

Thanks for that and that's what I wanted to hear so it gives me a good reason haha.

I don't think I could stretch to a Nielsen block as much as I want to (love the bronze) but will probably go for the veritas block and edge plane as it has a wider blade iron than the Nielsen. I do use my block plane a lot so I can justify buying one. I probably should use my no4 more but I seem to naturally pick up the block for most things.

Must of been absolutely gutting losing the tools. Cheers

A French friend of ours is a time served and apprenticed carpenter. Very good too. His first project at carpentry school was to make a plane. He still has it almost fifty years later and other than the Makita power plane it is the only plane that he owns. I was watching him dressing some old oak beams last week. We had taken them out of an old cottage that must be over 200 years old. They were riddled with woodworm and I thought him mad for asking me to take the nails out as he was going to re-use them. After I'd removed a million old hand made nails he set to work with the power planer, then the old wooden hand one and finally a small sander. The beams are now back in the house and look superb.

Love that. Right up my street. I rarely use an electric plane I must say. Yeah it's amazing what an old oak beam looks like under all that crumbling woodworm layer. One of my first jobs when I started my apprenticeship was to help my boss pitch a roof with reclaimed oak timbers. I was using a drawknife and my axe to clean off the rotten outer layer and used the axe to carve the oak connecting pegs. Cheers

get what you really want, don't spare a thought about it getting nicked or damaged.

axminster do some lie Nielsen copies called rider planes, they look ok but i haven't tried one to compare. otherwise try the car boots etc, I picked up a really nice old Stanley No51/2 plane for a fiver when I was replacing all the stolen gear, it was covered in paint and the handle was broken but it cleaned up a treat, I made a new handle and it's so much nicer than the newer stuff, no grinding marks in the body, the blade stays put and holds its edge.

I've seen his work before Grr, absolutely stunning. if I owned one, i'd never use it, for fear of hitting a hidden nail or getting it gummed up with sap.

I don't think I would ever be able to make anything, i would just plane the wood away shaving after shaving just so I could use it.