ATV riding - Recreational

WinchesterDave

Just out of curiosity really..

My girlfriends Aunty and uncle own quite a bit of land and have a big Kawasaki 4wd atv/quad bike.

Last two times I've been, including yesterday I've been on it riding around the fields, through mud, ditches water... I absolutely loved it!! They're awesome machines and so much fun

I was wondering is there a way of getting in to ATV riding for recreational purposes/ hobby, like shooting?

I'd love to get into it at some point. I was looking online at all the big makes, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Polaris and Kawasaki and have noticed one common thing amongst them all - the price!

Suppose that's me not having any knowledge but I love the look of them and they are so much fun.

Are there such things at ATV clubs / societies etc?

Cheers

Dave

You can green lane them if road legal a couple of guys I know had great fun exploring on some land locally, (dubious legality) hired them on holiday and gone off the beaten track a couple of times and loved it too but it's another time and space consuming hobby and they are attractive to theives my aunt had 2 nicked from her stables.

If I had £1500 and garage space I would have that rimfire.....

Where does he go to off road if? Green laning / pay and play site / club etc?

There are plenty of places to go you just have to find them first. Ive a quadzilla that I use for shooting and retrieving logs, road legal and only cost £250. They are cheap for reason though so you need to be handy with your tools.

You can green lane them if road legal a couple of guys I know had great fun exploring on some land locally, (dubious legality) hired them on holiday and gone off the beaten track a couple of times and loved it too but it's another time and space consuming hobby and they are attractive to theives my aunt had 2 nicked from her stables.

If I had £1500 and garage space I would have that rimfire.....

No problem, I have been offered £1500 px on the gator.

This could be a silly question but how do I find out where the green lanes are?

Google or YouTube,loads of places,haven't done any myself but my old mate is nuts on it.I believe there are rules and regulations on where you can and can't go.They use special laneing maps and download them on tablets and use these mounted on a quad or 4x4 for navigating.

Edited by Davyo

This could be a silly question but how do I find out where the green lanes are?

The term "Green lane" has no legal meaning, it's used to generally describe unsurfaced roads.

To put it in the simplest terms.

The legally drivable ones will be shown on any Ordnance survey map as Byways open to all traffic.

There are also Unsurfaced unclassified county roads, these are often shown on the O/S maps as Other routes with public access.

Any route shown on a map may be legally closed or unsuitable to take a vehicle down when you get there.

The whole subject of Greenlaning is quite contentious, I'd suggest anyone interested in it should join a club as it's easy to get it very wrong, both morally and legally.

The Green Lane Association (GLASS) is a good start.

Edited by Wymondley

The term "Green lane" has no legal meaning, it's used to generally describe unsurfaced roads.

To put it in the simplest terms.

The legally drivable ones will be shown on any Ordnance survey map as Byways open to all traffic.

There are also Unsurfaced unclassified county roads, these are often shown on the O/S maps as Other routes with public access.

Any route shown on a map may be legally closed or unsuitable to take a vehicle down when you get there.

The whole subject of Greenlaning is quite contentious, I'd suggest anyone interested in it should join a club as it's easy to get it very wrong, both morally and legally.

The Green Lane Association (GLASS) is a good start.

Top advise

There are loads of clubs and an overall body called tread lightly

http://www.treadlightly-uk.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=2

No idea how legal It is but looks great fun and only up the road from me......

https://youtu.be/Rb8cD1aY2CE

Cheers for the link and the video HDAV!

That's the kind of stuff I'd love to do lol

Dave :good:

Cheers for the link and the video HDAV!

That's the kind of stuff I'd love to do lol

Dave :good:

Ha ha me too........ get on and do it your only ŷoung once, wish I had done more of what I wanted when I was younger rather than being sensible..... plenty of time for that........

Look up wor, wirral off road,they do loads of events, mainly enduro but noticed they do Atv quad ones also,North Wales,Staffordshire etc,the next one is at the ruag estate near Corwen. We do the pay and play enduro days £30 from 10:00-15:00. They are well set up and safe with Marshalls.

You ever see world war Whaddon? Carnage and it was brilliant!! Pretty sure that was set up by them.

• 2 weeks later...