Subsonic .410 loads?

Beffe

Hello!

I`m going rat hunting on some farms and would like to use my Mossberg 500E .410. I would like to load some really quiet cartridges. I have found some Italian load data but even with Google Translate it`s hard to really understand it.

What I have understood tough, is that they like to use fast burning powders in small ammounts, cork/felt wads and heavy lead loads. Like 0,30 grams of powder and 18 grams of shot!

Do anyone have any load data for a silent .410-load? Don`t want to scare the pigs, cows etc :)

Sadly, air rifles is not much of an option here in Sweden.

Thank you!

//Christian

What powders do you have access to?

I have a box of Vihtavuori N320 but would gladly buy another powder if that would be necessary!

Personaly I would think that the N320 is a little to slow, maybe the N310 would be better?

Edited by Beffe

Welcome to pw.

Can you put a link or post the Italian load data you have found?

Do you have good accidental medical cover in Sweden? Because in general fast powders and .410 are a accident waiting to happen.

.410 even subsonic use a slow powder like 2400, h110 powders normally used for small calibrate rifle like the hornet.

Welcome to pw.

Can you put a link or post the Italian load data you have found?

Do you have good accidental medical cover in Sweden? Because in general fast powders and .410 are a accident waiting to happen.

.410 even subsonic use a slow powder like 2400, h110 powders normally used for small calibrate rifle like the hornet.

Thank you rbrowning2!

http://www.ilbraccoitaliano.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37634

(Google Translate)

"I made many attempts with cal. 36 and subsonic cartridges.

A proven dose also hunt and that I often use in stationary shooting is as follows.

36 / 63.5 615 F2x24 0.15 x 14.5 with minicontainer h33 lead 10 and round closure 60,5mm

alternatively

36 / 63.5 F2X24 0.20 x 15 with felt wad lead 10 and round closure 60,5mm

I tried to chronograph and I measured speed of 190 200 m / s.

The advice I can give is never to be fooled by the little recoil due to the low speeds of these cartridges.

the pressures are often very high..."

615 = Fiocchi 615 primer?

F2X24 = Baschieri-Pellagri?

I also found these in the link above!

"410/76 Flakes with DFS 615 (regularly triggers very poor).

Sipe g powder. Lead 0,35x22 n. 10, wad cl. LB 410 by 40 mm. and round edge on paper with finite cartridge 71.7 mm.

Tc 4202 usec V1 222 m / s PMax 476 bar.

36 / 63.5 flakes with DFS 615 (very poor regularity of triggers).

Sipe g powder. Lead 0,30x20 n. 10, Feltre 6 mm. Sugherino + 4 mm. closing round edge on paper with finite cartridge 59.9 mm.

V2,5 193 m / s PMax 498 bar."

Edited by Beffe

They are seriously small amounts of powder and not data I would want to risk without using the services of your country proof house to verify the pressure.

don't underestimate the energy that a tiny amount of fast powder can create, most reloading accidents occur due to a fast powder being accidentally used to replace that of a slow powder.

If you try one go for the sipe loads as at least the data includes the pressure.

Hopefully a pw member will offer you a tried and tested load for a slow powder you can get.

Edited by rbrowning2

They are seriously small amounts of powder and not data I would want to risk without using the services of your country proof house to verify the pressure.

don't underestimate the energy that a tiny amount of fast powder can create, most reloading accidents occur due to a fast powder being accidentally used to replace that of a slow powder.

If you try one go for the sipe loads as at least the data includes the pressure.

Hopefully a pw member will offer you a tried and tested load for a slow powder you can get.

I do not understand, is Sipe a powder? Do you know?

Yes, that would feel the safest. At least I understand english! :)

I think N110 would be closer to what you need if Vihtavuori is your only choice but I can't find any data for it.

In Vectan SP3,

Euro Hull (Cheddite, Fiocchi) 76mm

CX50 Primer or Fiocchi 615

0.78g SP3

2mm Over powder card and 12mm felt wad or 14mm felt wad

19g shot

Shot Card

Roll Turn Over

Depending on the shot size, you may need to alter wad height to get good height for roll turn over.

I think N110 would be closer to what you need if Vihtavuori is your only choice but I can't find any data for it.

In Vectan SP3,

Euro Hull (Cheddite, Fiocchi) 76mm

CX50 Primer or Fiocchi 615

0.78g SP3

2mm Over powder card and 12mm felt wad or 14mm felt wad

19g shot

Shot Card

Roll Turn Over

Depending on the shot size, you may need to alter wad height to get good height for roll turn over.

Thank you Stonepark for the load data!

But... With 0.78g of powder, will this load really be subsonic/quiet? :)

Slightly off to one side, but have you thought of a .410 silencer? I had an old .410 single barrel back in the 70,s it had a silencer attached. We used to shoot rats around the hen houses, and it had to be quiet because we did not want to put them off laying.........2" eley, with 7 shot were deadly.

Hello pinfireman!

Sadly, it would be impossible to legaly have a silencer on my Mossberg here in Sweden :/