Phone call from the Police .

Gunman

Last week I received a phone call from the police inquiring after my health . In my shotgun certificate renewal last year I declared I was being treated for depression [ took the death of my daughter rather badly ]and although I felt that I should be coming off , I was continuing taking the medication as my wife had just been diagnosed and operated on for breast cancer . As a result I thought it wise not to risk backsliding , due as I'm sure you can imagine the added emotional strain.

Bare in mind I had during the worst of my depression been working with firearms on a daily basis .

Dont know if it was nice of them to be concerned or if they were just covering their backs .

They are just covering their backs mate.

They are just doing their job..

On another note,,I am gutted the way life has treated you.

When you retired,life should have been on a very positive way in your later years.

Sadly this has gone drasticly wrong for you and your family..

I and many on here no doubt will be feeling for you..

I personaly do not know how you have stood up to it..

It would have totaly wrecked me..

God,if you can, give this man a break,He deserves it..

Bless you all ..

When you retired,life should have been on a very positive way in your later years.

Bless you all ..

Oh so so well said .your words summed up just what i was feeling as i read the post.

The fact of the matter is your proof that not everyone falls to bits,you haven't tried to hide the fact that you have suffered from depression.Afterall SGC/FAC holders in the past who have not disclosed there condition is the licensing authorities reason for the introduction of the new medical form.

Plus the fact that all you have been through and that you have been able to use firearms almost everyday without insistent is again another example that some people do and can cope with depression.Now that to me speaks volumes,I had a friend who once went through depression and he told me that "only those that have experienced it can comment on it"

I don't think you will have an issue with your FEO and well done fella.

^^^

This, only people who know.

I do, I'm open about how ill I was a few years ago, I was almost hospitalised with depression.

In between that I worked at the level I'm paid for, functioned well, but had the most awful spat of my life, dark times.

We're human, things happen, honestly is the way forward.

I had no suicidal thoughts, and never thought about hurting someone else.

Good luck to you, the police are just doing their job.

Hope things get a bit easier for you mate, we always have our memories. The police are covering their backs and I suppose its nice of them to check things out. Sometimes the police way of handling things can be so unsympathetic. A mans shooting can be his only escape from the strains of the world sometimes and taking that away can be the final straw.

Bless you all ..

well said sir.

Personally I know that it's a good thing being on medication for depression as at least your being monitored. The worry is the people not on it ;)

I had a call when I was put on them through a split but you have to do 6 months on them minimum.

My friend killed himself with his shotgun and maybe if he'd been on them he would be here today

Personally I know that it's a good thing being on medication for depression as at least your being monitored. The worry is the people not on it ;)

I had a call when I was put on them through a split but you have to do 6 months on them minimum.

My friend killed himself with his shotgun and maybe if he'd been on them he would be here today

And that's the unfortunate thing, how many men (not being sexist but we are the ones least likely to see a doctor) suffer depression without treatment because they fear loosing their license and the passion they love.

And that's the unfortunate thing, how many men (not being sexist but we are the ones least likely to see a doctor) suffer depression without treatment because they fear loosing their license and the passion they love.

And we have this great forum here will people who have been through this .i had it very bad a few years ago .and would help anyone i could to get out of that very dark place .the first step to getting better is been able to talk about it.and to know your not alone .my GP bless her was the one who helped me get my SGC and go clayshooting .she said it would help me get out and meet people.i asked if she would like to try clayshooting she said no them things scare me to bits lol x

Edited by johnphilip

Most people who shoot (and Fish) find the whole countryside pursuits experience relaxing, rejuvenating and find it helps relieve the pressures of modern life.........without it how would those life pressures be relieved?

If an individual occasionally need a little extra help to get through a bad situation, which is a perfectly normal part of life's struggle!.........they are more likely to come through it if they have the safety valve of shooting, fishing and the countryside to help them through.

We are talking about treatment for an individual with a common, short term, perfectly normal occasional human condition..................not an individual with long term possibly dangerous mental health issues!

Bless you all ..

It really does suck for Gunman but asking an imaginary god to give him a break achieves nothing.

Gents many thanks for your comments and good wishes .

Not a religious person myself but other do believe .

I think that the police acted in all correctness and with consideration to me ,not in any officious way . This has to some extent rekindled my trust in them .Durham Police having some what a tarnished reputation on firearms matters .

Once again thanks for the comments ..

Graham .

Much like this pointless, irrelevant and insensitive post then.

Gunman,....... I wish you the very best in such a difficult time. My thoughts and good wishes are with you.

Not pointless at all. The more we speak out against any and all religions, the better the world is going to be for everyone. It absolutely baffles me that it is so acceptable to society to believe in such fantasies.

My wife had major head surgery ( amazing for a women as I thought there was just empty space in there ) a few years back, afterwards she suffered clinical depression and its not a place were you should be alone. I think its very hard for someone to understand depression unless it comes to your doorstep, it certainly taught me a thing or two about how to care. Alas the general public and even the health service is still back in the dark ages with its understanding.