Another watch thread

djrwood

After a bit of advise after reading through the last few watch threads.

I turn 30 this year and looking at soiling myself to a watch to celebrate. I have a max 4K budget and to be honest will look to fund half this and put the rest on a 0% cc to pay off over the next year or so.

I'm after a watch that is an investment as much as a nice time piece. I quite like the look of the Rolex oyster perpetual 36. Any thoughts or anyone own one? Likely to go up in value in the long term or too low end in Rolex terms? Better to buy one or thee me or get a different model second hand?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Dan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I turn 30 this year and looking at soiling myself to a watch to celebrate. I have a max 4K budget and to be honest will look to fund half this and put the rest on a 0% cc to pay off over the next year or so.

I'm after a watch that is an investment as much as a nice time piece. I quite like the look of the Rolex oyster perpetual 36. Any thoughts or anyone own one? Likely to go up in value in the long term or too low end in Rolex terms? Better to buy one or thee me or get a different model second hand?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Dan

Sounds good but I'd advise against soiling yourself while celebrating.

Sounds good but I'd advise against soiling yourself while celebrating.

Ha it's how we do it in the fens!! It's not a party unless you wake with a 4 day old **** in you pants! I found one in there last birthday at least 4 days old, just weren't sure it was one of mine!

you will struggle at 4 for a rolex, second hand can be 6, you will need to go to 4750 for a '90s sub, don't go private unless its your dad's.[/quote

I did think that but have found the oyster 36 for sale for 3950, hence questions on whether it's any good or will gain value? Weren't sure if it was too low end mass market on the Rolex scale.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Dan

Goldsmiths will do 0% but I'm unsure if you can put more than the 10% deposit down.

have you seen how good a modern fake is?

one of the biggest stunts is for a scammer to hold back the real watch and flog the fake with the box and papers, catching out the unsuspecting. I wonder if this is the reason that you see so many genuine Rolexes being sold without box and papers, makes me wonder.

I can see the box being sold but the papers have the serial numbers printed on them as well as the holographic card. I would not buy without a box and papers and only from a dealer.

My next purchase a Milgauss.

I'd get a second hand Air King with white face and Roman numeral dial

https://www.cavourorologi.it/mobile/1/Rolex/air-king/14000M/RO3084

That one is in at E3700, but the lack of a 'date' function might get to you after a while, in which case reach for a steel sub for E5300

I've bought a couple of second hand Rolexes from this place and it's worth a snoop. Mind you I bought when the pound got you 1.4 euros and it's all rather depressing right now.

https://www.cavourorologi.it/mobile/.

Edited by Mungler

The thing about Rolexes is that they are day to day usable and robust (they don't need delicate treatment or to be kept away from water), the brand and model lines are instantly recognisable and as such there is always a market place for them which means they keep their money and are easy to sell, trade and move on.

I have had a couple of eclectic watches and they are very difficult to move on (if you fancy a change or an upgrade) and their prices are quite stagnant - there's a good chance of losing money on them.

The OP said he was looking for a watch and an investment and the right model second hand sports Rolex fits that bill and in budget, and of course he'll get a decent looking watch to wear.

Edited by Mungler