Beretta 692

Guest GMK

Does anyone still have reliability issues with these? My Pals had issues with guns bought in 2014, but later ones seem - no pun intended - bullet proof. Has Beretta over engineeried later models?

I bought one last summer a LH 32 inch Sporter for Clays and Pigeons and it hasn't missed a beat. Despite people slagging the quality of newer Berettas it is very nicely built and finished and I have an old 687 20 bore to compare it with. Then 692 Blacks are very nice but I couldn't justify the extra £ over the standard model.

Edited by JRDS

IMO they haven't over engineered anything in years. If anything the 692 is under engineered - probably thanks to the accountants.

The early ones suffered from quality control issues and many people were put off them forever. As for the known ongoing issues, there is a rumour that the latest ones have normal ejectors but I haven't heard any confirmation. It would be the obvious thing to do because the switchable ejectors do become troublesome when the 'O' rings are worn and I for one can't see a viable permanent fix.

The worst problem is the top tang setscrew shearing and leaving the gun in 2 pieces. It seems to be the result of the screw backing out from the vibration of normal use. I would have thought they'd be able to cure it fairly easily by applying a little non setting thread locker or a lockscrew but again there's no evidence yet that anything's changed. An even better solution would be a return to both a top and bottom screws like the 68x family.

Mines an early one and I'm very happy to report no issues whatsoever.

Its had well in excess of 5000 cartridges through it and never skipped a beat.

I've never messed with the ejectors and always have it set to eject.

It seems like with most things these days - pure luck of the draw as to what you get..

ATB.

After many warranty returns on mine, finally its trouble free now .

The whole return scenario left a bad taste in my mouth with gmk , but none the less it's fixed :)

Why blame gmk.they did not build your gun.they are only allowed to replace parts with factory supplied parts as if they did any non beretta modifications beretta could reject any warranty claims.there were problems with some of the early 692 guns mostly minor.and all mostly blown out of proportion if they imported say 20 thousand guns and 500 had to go back for these minor faults it's not as bad as some make out.i know of a friend who waited almost six months for an English gun to be made. paid 15k and it was so troublesome in the first four months the company bought it back from him.and they make only a fraction of the big manufacturers figures.

Mines an early one and I'm very happy to report no issues whatsoever.

Its had well in excess of 5000 cartridges through it and never skipped a beat.

I've never messed with the ejectors and always have it set to eject.

It seems like with most things these days - pure luck of the draw as to what you get..

ATB.

To be frank after 5K rounds a Beretta is barely run in. Even so, if you take out the selector doo dad for the ejectors I'll bet the 'O' rings are already looking a bit sad. My Prevail with the exact same ejector system got to about 12K rounds - again without skipping a beat - but by then the 'O' rings were pretty knackered.

Sad though it makes me as an ex Beretta owner, I seriously recommend you buy some spare 'O' rings for a few pennies off fleaBay and periodically check the setscrew for tightness because I don't see a product recall happening to eliminate these worries.

Why blame gmk.they did not build your gun.they are only allowed to replace parts with factory supplied parts as if they did any non beretta modifications beretta could reject any warranty claims.there were problems with some of the early 692 guns mostly minor.and all mostly blown out of proportion if they imported say 20 thousand guns and 500 had to go back for these minor faults it's not as bad as some make out.i know of a friend who waited almost six months for an English gun to be made. paid 15k and it was so troublesome in the first four months the company bought it back from him.and they make only a fraction of the big manufacturers figures.

I would rather not discuss anything with you on here bostonmick thanks :).

Except that they didn't import 20 thousand. One thousand would be closer IMO and for quite a while GMK simply couldn't keep up with the level of returns. Beretta's most successful gun ever was the 682 Gold E of which they built just over 50 thousand, worldwide, over some 14 years in production.

The 692 will never have the legendary reputation of the 682 and never get anywhere near the same sales figures. Not least becaus every other mid range gun maker is offering competitvely priced products, mostly better value, often just plain better and all of them free of fundamental design flaws.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5i6mskufqudg1q/Photo%20Aug%2030%2C%208%2000%2028%20PM%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

Top one 692 X trap 12 K rounds

Bottom 692 sport 30 k plus

Still going strong !

I shoot comps with lots of people from trap through to sporting and a good few shoot 692s and have had no problems at all.

I also bought another 692 trap ( flat rib )which has had around 10 K though it and that was the ONLY one I had problems with. The inertia block was sticking. That went back and sorted free of charge in a week. And it's perfect.

So in summery three guns. 50000 shells through them and ONE small issue !

Make your own mind up.

Edited by stevo

The old 682s were ok. I only got rid of mine last year. Mine was fine. But right from the off back in the day beretta had no end of problems with the triggers.

With regards to the 692s and trying to compare them with the privales or the 628 ( early ones ) to the later ones. There is NO comparison what so ever. The only thing the 692 shares with the privale is the ejectors that is it. And the problems that the early 692s had with said ejectors was a little metal cam that had two small teeth on it. And after time one of the teeth would maybe snap off. It was a 2 min job to pop new ones in JOB DONE. I used to change mine every now and then when I used to service them. The two cams cost a tenna with postage. However these have now been changed for better metal.

The 692 is and out and out clay gun. So it's designed to be hammered. And it's fair to say I have shot the hell out of mine.

The old 682s were ok. I only got rid of mine last year. Mine was fine. But right from the off back in the day beretta had no end of problems with the triggers.

The only thing the 692 shares with the privale is the ejectors that is it. And the problems that the early 692s had with said ejectors was a little metal cam that had two small teeth on it. And after time one of the teeth would maybe snap off. It was a 2 min job to pop new ones in JOB DONE. I used to change mine every now and then when I used to service them. The two cams cost a tenna with postage. However these have now been changed for better metal.

I forgot about the lug snapping on the selector. Thanks for reminding me. Of course that, as with the top tang setscrew, renders the gun inoperable whereas 'O' ring failure is just an irritant.

Are you suggesting that all those ejector issues of randomly dropping into extract mode or the the guns falling into 2 pieces never happened? :lol:

Incidentally, just about everything mechanical on the 692 apart from the forcing cones and barrel shoulders is lifted straight from the Prevail, including the single setscrew attachment for the trigger group. The Prevail had one advantage in that the if the screw failed - and there's no record of it happening - the trigger group was cammed into the trigger plate so the gun wouldn't fall apart. On the 692 it's just a tongue and slot arrangement. More cheeseparing I'm afraid.

No one has ever said the 692 isn't as durable as it's predecessors but your 30K through the sporter isn't all that much, I'd suggest that Sian who posts on here does that many every year through her SP-1.

The fact is you shouldn't have to keep a stock of selectors, 'O' rings, setscrews and Loctite for a gun of at that price, especially at a time when Beretta is clearly losing market share. As said in another thread, for the price of a 692, especially the Black, you can do better. Another reason why there aren't many in use amongst experienced registered sporting shooters.

I have two Beretta 692 Sporters. I have had them for just over 2.5 years and both guns have had about 30K rounds through each of them. They are set up identically so that I can swap between them and never worry about a particular gun being “my backup gun”.

In my opinion, they handle exceptionally well and the 30” Sporters work well for me shooting skeet.

The not so good news is that they seem to have had their fair share of teething issues and this has put some shooters off the 692 and seems to have put other shooters off Beretta altogether.

As far as I am aware, the three main issues with the 692 are:

• The screw can drop out of the adjustable trigger blade. It has happened to me, but now I have a spot of threadlock on these screws. This is an easy fix even if this hasn’t happened to you yet. I also carry spares with me in case someone else loses a trigger screw.
  • The ejector retainers have problems with lugs shearing off. This can cause problems if a shard of metal gets into the ejector mechanism. Failing that it is easily fixed. Beretta issued new retainers (I believe that they are now hardened) in July 2016. These parts have been changed on both of my guns, but not before the lugs had sheared twice (always on the bottom barrel). The issue has not reoccurred with the new retainers.
  • The top tang bolt that holds the trigger assembly in place can shear after about 20K rounds (according to some shooters). Just search for “Beretta 602 top tang screw” on Google. This happened to me at the weekend on one of my guns (and in a comp!). The gun is now with GMK for repair under warranty. Fortunately, I had my spare 692 with me.

GMK in the UK have always been great at fixing these issues and I can’t fault the guys that I talk to in the workshop. But you need to remember that they only repair them, they didn't make them! Since the 692 was a new model, they themselves have been learning about the issues as they occur in the field.

I do wish that the 692 was a little more reliable – however, I always think that I would carry two for competition use. I cannot comment on the more recently made 692s.

Hope this helps.

I had two 692's and between them they had fired around 500 cartridges. The first one was replaced by gmk for other faults on top of what I sent it back for, the second one the usual top lever jamming problem. Seen the top barrel not firing problem twice on different guns, a friend had the gun fall into halves problem.

Sold my Beretta's and currently using Browning's, one of them had to have the bite adjusted and the one I bought s/h had to have the bottom firing pin replaced.