Scottish Funday 8

johnnytheboy

Plenty of choice of targets to suit all abilities at Braidwood. There are more than 20 sporting stands, several with up to six traps, the others the usual two traps per stand, and also a skeet range. You will need a large cartridge bag if you plan to shoot five pairs at each stand. There are some going-away targets, but not a true DTL layout.

On non-competition days, regulars tend to collect one counter for the group, and wander round shooting two or three pairs per stand. Among our usual group, most of us shoot (sorry, I mean fire at) 100 clays and then return to the clubhouse for refreshment. If there happen to be one or two with dodgy knees, etc, they take a separate counter, and stop whenever they feel like it.

When they a running a club competition, you can still go round and practice, but are asked to give way to the competition shooters.

Not fussy about the date, 25th March would suit me fine. No idea how many you expect, but presumably it would be best to split into two groups if more than about eight folk turn up.

You can expect to find some interesting (= tricky) targets at Braidwood, but no need to bring a fancy trap gun -- generally nothing that cannot be broken with ½ choke. Some of the driven birds are thrown from the south or south-east, so take dark glasses if it is a sunny day.

Given the difficulties last time in finding a date to be agreed I would push on with the 5, maybe 7, of you who can make it.

Will be a nice sized group to walk around and have a blether.

Don't let the minority of us who cannot go on the 25th dictate things 😊

Graham, how far in advance do you know your clay dates etc, as we could have a few of these this year as we did last year we could plan around your dates so you can join in!

Pretty much every Sunday has a registered competition of some description so largely rules Sunday's out for me. In terms of Saturdays I am much more flexible with only a few that are restricted due to setting up a shoot or another comp' that I will likely attend.

The Saturdays that I definitely cannot do are: 25/3, 1/4, 29/4, 27/5, 3/6, 29/7, 12/8 & 19/8