More people reloading?

I've just started reloading, loads to learn but getting there slowly.

So how many people think that given that cartridge price have gone up twice now in 6 months, and rumours are they'll be rising again possibly before Easter, do you think more people will start reloading cartridges?

I've been surprised even using a Lee Loadall 2 how quick you can load them. It's not really worth loading clay loads for general clay breaking, people will use cheap cartridges. But if like me you don't shoot loads of pigeon/game cartridges a year (under 1500) will more people go down the reloading route??

I have also noticed a lot more interest by members on here wanting to get into reloading. Wheter is's for money saving or not I do not know.

Personally I'm not that interested in the money saving side of it although I'm sure I will save a few quid reloading for the 410. I love the researching

As above, reloading does not pay for some cartridge lines (where mass manufacturers tend to live), however for small bores, custom quirky loads, heavier loads and especially non-toxic, reloading is the way to go.

I have noticed recently manufacturers are following a certain mindset (not always beneficial) for larger pellets to increase hitting power or lighter loads for economy (or even combining both) to the detriment of some good balanced cartridge lines.

In some respects this is encouraging reloading as they are ignoring a significant part of the shooting market to concentrate on the mass market as they perceive it.

Edited by Stonepark

As above, reloading does not pay for some cartridge lines (where mass manufacturers tend to live), however for small bores, custom quirky loads, heavier loads and especially non-toxic, reloading is the way to go.

I have noticed recently manufacturers are following a certain mindset (not always beneficial) for larger pellets to increase hitting power or lighter loads for economy (or even combining both) to the detriment of some good balanced cartridge lines.

In some respects this is encouraging reloading as they are ignoring a significant part of the shooting market to concentrate on the mass market as they perceive it.

Yep.

If you'd like more information, please

Contact Eley Hawk

Please get in touch we are always happy to hear from you. If it’s a query about our products, where you can buy them from how our products performed your comments are important to us. Either click the link below or use one of our social media channels to get in touch.

Unless, of course, you do so to politely enquire about the long term (or not) future of their HV Pigeon 32g 6&1/2 shot. Still waiting for an answer.

Guest cookoff013

its probably due to availability issues.

shells are made in production runs because they are very expensive to store (limited amount of powder too.)

clay shells are made continually, as the demand for them is alot more than the seasonal game shells.

supply and demand !

I reload so i can get the cartridge type i want. i go wildfowling and when i go into my local gunshop they only have a few steel loads at best, but by reloading i can decide on what shot type or size i want to use, i can also load some cartridges that are not commercially available, this coming season i am going to do more copper loads.

Yep.

If you'd like more information, please

Contact Eley Hawk

Please get in touch we are always happy to hear from you. If it’s a query about our products, where you can buy them from how our products performed your comments are important to us. Either click the link below or use one of our social media channels to get in touch.

Unless, of course, you do so to politely enquire about the long term (or not) future of their HV Pigeon 32g 6&1/2 shot. Still waiting for an answer.

Well, that's that - finally got a reply. The HV Pigeon 32g 6&1/2s are no longer produced and all stocks have been depleted. :sad1:

I reload so i can get the cartridge type i want. i go wildfowling and when i go into my local gunshop they only have a few steel loads at best, but by reloading i can decide on what shot type or size i want to use, i can also load some cartridges that are not commercially available, this coming season i am going to do more copper loads.

This is the main reason why i reload you can get the loads you want in the shot size you want, and reloading can save you time and money if you have to travel a distance to get the loads you want to use.

Reloading you have what you want when you want it without leaving home.

I would like to start but just dont have the time to get a setup going and them developing loads, so for me I buy cartridges in bulk shared with a couple of mates and its makes it reasonable despite the price increase. I have only every reloaded CF and that was mainly as I shot in service rifle comps at Bisley and the cost of match ammunition in .303, .223 or 6.5x55SM was prohibitive, and even green spot milsurp stuff was pretty inconsistent. That was in the days though before kids came along and I could quite happily spend many hours working up loads in the spare room!

Edited by Wingman

Guest cookoff013

Also been toying with the idea of reloading so been doing a bit of research and my head is bamboozled

no bamboozled.

buy a book, and read. first you need equiptment, such as a scale.

after i read lyman 5th shotshell reloading book. my first shells were 32g #2 steel in a 3" hull.

after that i started making using lead....

what if often the mistake, of buying random components and hoping they will work. lead shot is nearly always the universal component. thats it.

find a recipe you`d like to make, ask on here for decent recipe.

buy only the components for that recipe,

assemble the shells.

go shoot the shells.

Guest cookoff013

i`m just going to put a few words together....

first, i love teaching people how to reload. i teach anyone who will listen. i do this because reloading is a passion. but its not without trouble.

usually the person has little or no experience in shell manufacturing and often would never get a book. i learned from a book, and some online resources.

but i`m competing against youtube guys like dodgy cowboy reloading, and i`m horrified by some of the practices. when that is there easily aquired resource...

i had a discussion with a guy whos main argument was, Q; why would i have help from you, when i can ask my friends down the pub?

i couldnt believe thats a main argument.

of course he and i had many arguments mainly because he is confused with grams of lead and grains of powder, claiming a 32g load has 32grains of powder. (end result was he blew up a baikal !)

then, i`m competing against gunshop retailers.... who sell random powders or random components to potentially new reloaders.

they have turned up, "i bought this- for my shotgun will it work?" it can be absolutely anything. from the wrong powder, wrong or antique wads, hulls that are rusted. or anything from "i want to reload shells to be cheaper, i have a budget of £20, and i`d like 1000shells"

i do try to help and educate people, but when you get yourubers reloading, salt, playdough, jelly beans, educating these new reloaders, that creates problems,

problems that its hard for me to educate them out of that thinking, but then they are re-asured by other youtubers doing the same thing....

if my passion was reloading only, i would never have ever tried to teach anyone.

no bamboozled.

buy a book, and read. first you need equiptment, such as a scale.

after i read lyman 5th shotshell reloading book. my first shells were 32g #2 steel in a 3" hull.

after that i started making using lead....

what if often the mistake, of buying random components and hoping they will work. lead shot is nearly always the universal component. thats it.

find a recipe you`d like to make, ask on here for decent recipe.

buy only the components for that recipe,

assemble the shells.

go shoot the shells.

Steel goose loads are what I'm interested in to go through my 12. 3inch or 3 1/2.

Guest cookoff013

M Greeny. Reloading is very simple.

The loading process is very simple. from all types of shell,

if you gain the right simple skills, then you can reload pretty much anything (shotgun related)

The loading process is very simple. from all types of shell,

if you gain the right simple skills, then you can reload pretty much anything (shotgun related)

Thanks i will hopefully get the hang of it. i know a couple of lads that reload so they should help me out.