New steel shells....

Guest cookoff013

http://gamebore.com/uk/cartridge/clay/12g-black-gold-competition

http://gamebore.com/uk/cartridge/clay/12g-black-gold-steel

huge difference in performance especially at range sure they will be fine for skeet!

Guys,

Because it's a habit I have I'm happy to say I've made a mistake. It's a bit of a fiddle getting the V0 figure from the V1. I've checked and fiddled again and this time come up with about 30 difference - neither here nor there. I honestly don't think that on this occasion the mistake is mine. Surely, the discrepancy is such that common sense says that something isn't right.

If steel shot is where it's going, what will happen to all the small clay grounds that say fibre only? Seen you can get fibre cup wads, are they any good?

I have used the 3" ones with fibre cups and they worked fine I have spoken to Gamebore about a 32grm No 4 shot in 2 3/4 " but they claim they can not get that amount of shot into it. I think that all plastic wads in lead as well should be replaced with these fibre cups then we would all stop spraying plastic all over the country.

Guest cookoff013

I have used the 3" ones with fibre cups and they worked fine I have spoken to Gamebore about a 32grm No 4 shot in 2 3/4 " but they claim they can not get that amount of shot into it. I think that all plastic wads in lead as well should be replaced with these fibre cups then we would all stop spraying plastic all over the country.

for manufacturers to then increase prices yet again to the tune of £1000 per k of shells?

thats £135 / k extra (ok, not trade price but its still a silly increase)

the extra components used, 3" hulls would double the cost of hulls.

4mm powder card and a xmm wad would be as normal.

now thats 3 components loaded, not including shot and or powder. thats non viable. that would have to be loaded slow. now that would tie up a reloading machine for an eon to reload any decent quantities. time=money

I commented in another thread that when the prices increase we may see cheaper steel loads again like in the past, looks though that is now the case again. Wonder if grounds will allow them due to worry over ricochets.

I see one maker is recommending their steel range for grounds that have banned lead. In view of the links above, anyone who pays any attention to the makers' graphs is more likely to use Hull's standard velocity offerings.

I once tipped a box of steel carts into the same pocket as my usual clay carts and didn't look to see what I loaded in my semi auto to see if I could tell by recoil breaks or noise the difference and no I couldn't tell, I even loaded some into the gun gave my son it and he couldn't tell either. Some of the clays were 45 yards and breaks were the same closer stuff seemed harder hit probably due to the increased pellets in the 28g steel load.

Think if we did get a ban on lead I'd use a semi auto for all my shooting. Let's hope it never happens.

I once tipped a box of steel carts into the same pocket as my usual clay carts and didn't look to see what I loaded in my semi auto to see if I could tell by recoil breaks or noise the difference and no I couldn't tell, I even loaded some into the gun gave my son it and he couldn't tell either. Some of the clays were 45 yards and breaks were the same closer stuff seemed harder hit probably due to the increased pellets in the 28g steel load.

Think if we did get a ban on lead I'd use a semi auto for all my shooting. Let's hope it never happens.

Yep me too Figgy. I would go straight and buy one of those beretta high rib semi autos and annoy everyone haha

have to say their mammoth shells 3" and 3 1/2" are great! But agree it's just another hint that things are heading away from lead. Have to say it's sensible form gamebore's point of view. Wouldn't want the law to change form what it currently is though!

Really don't think that this has anything to do with a lead ban or the law. It's just a case of the makers having a good handle on their customers.

• 2 weeks later...

The graph on the link shows steel doing 100m/s at 50m.

Look at the other graphs for similar lead loads and you'll see they're stating about 150m/s at the same range.

Because my step-son has just started shooting and I was having a look to see what's what for him as I don't do clays, realising this couldn't be right, I contacted them and asked if there'd been a mistake.

No reply.

I've now just spotted that said graphs have been amended.

I've just contacted them again, but not quite so polite as the first time.

Total lack of courtesy, but fortunately there's a legion of other makers.