BSA Airsporter Refurb

rkidcj

Has anyone refurbed a BSA Airsporter. If so what is the best procedure and what bits do I need to replace and where do I get them from. The gun make a very loud twang when shot. The other guns I have go Bang when shot is this normal.

Also what would be the most suitable silencer for this gun apart from a very large one.

Cheers Rkid

I inherited a fairly elderly Airsporter (with revolving pellet feed at the front of the action) from my father and it has always made a sort of dull slap when fired. Even having replaced the main spring and seals it makes the same noise and have resigned myself to the fact that it will always be a mechanically noisy gun (what ever you put on the end of the barrel the mechanism still clatters around). It is sitting in the cupboard at the moment though as I havn't been able to find scope mounts that are narrow enough to fit the rails which are only about 8mm - should you find a set of mounts please drop me a note

Pike

Ok here u go laddie,I have a Mk 1 Airsporter and it still shoots sweet as a nut just dont ask too much of them,the parts can be expensive depending on what you need to replace,the serial number is under the barrel,when you cock the gun it will show the number and a prefix which dates the rifle and the Mk (mark/version)this is just under the breech/barrel where the thumb catch is.let me know what the prefix says and I can date the rifle and tell you the version etc. Spares are available from

Here

clanchief

Thanks the help, Pike and ClanChief :D

I had a Scary weekend with the gun trying to replace the main spring :D I had the barrel on a trolly jack and the spring fastened to a pin remover, the missus was holding the trollyjack to stop it from been pushed away by the pressure and pumping. After shooting the barrel and the spring around the garage a couple of times we decided (I was told :*) to take the gun to a Gunsmith for the professional touch. I was warned about Ox springs!

I should have the gun back on Friday so I can check the serial number and see if I can help about scope mounts.

Cheers Again Chris :P

You can get mounts for early bsa dovetails in the deben catilogue but they are a bit pricy at 30 odd quid, are you sure they are 8mm? if so are you sure they are scope mounts? some of the early airsporters were supplied with aperature sights which were mounted on the trigger block, i dont know how exactly these were fitted but i have seen many dovetail aperature sights on various guns, so you could be looking at the mounting for a missing peep sight rather than scope rails. As clanchief says if you give the serial no we can narrow it down a bit. :D

• 3 years later...
Ok here u go laddie,I have a Mk 1 Airsporter and it still shoots sweet as a nut just dont ask too much of them,the parts can be expensive depending on what you need to replace,the serial number is under the barrel,when you cock the gun it will show the number and a prefix which dates the rifle and the Mk (mark/version)this is just under the breech/barrel where the thumb catch is.let me know what the prefix says and I can date the rifle and tell you the version etc. Spares are available from

Here

clanchief

I inherited a fairly elderly Airsporter (with revolving pellet feed at the front of the action) from my father and it has always made a sort of dull slap when fired. Even having replaced the main spring and seals it makes the same noise and have resigned myself to the fact that it will always be a mechanically noisy gun (what ever you put on the end of the barrel the mechanism still clatters around). It is sitting in the cupboard at the moment though as I havn't been able to find scope mounts that are narrow enough to fit the rails which are only about 8mm - should you find a set of mounts please drop me a note

Pike

the early airsporters had crimped scope mounings which were much wider than 8m/m are you measuring the distance across the crimped grooves on top of the cylinder or the lenth of the grooves long ways?.

• 1 year later...

OK I have spent years smoothing out airsporters. They are the best all round air rifle. Early models are the best.

Never use high powered springs, they reduce the power. Best to use standard spring & make an insert that acts as a sleeve between the spring & the piston housing. You can use beer can for this, just cut with scissors the aluminium sheet so that it fits inside the piston & wraps round the spring. Insert spring with graphite grease & assemble as normal. All the twang goes, gun shoots smoothly & if you are capaple of removing the piston front end washer spacer & re-asssemble without it ( this increases the swept volume ) you will have the best 11 ft/lb air rifle ever.

ALLWAYS USE BLUE TIN 5.6 WASPS for best power & smoothness.