MATING MAIDEN BITCHES

Hi Gary,

I assume your bitch stood for the dog but moved away when he tried to mount or when he penatrated.

Were they in a fairly confined area?

If they were and she was still pulling away from the dog you will probably have to gentley restrain her while the dog mounts and penetrates. Make sure she doesn't try to twist when they are tied, to prevent any injury. Being a maiden bitch you may find she will protest throughout the mating, sympathetic restraint may be required throughout the mating.

I would also recommend she is tied with the dog atleast twice, the 2nd time being 2 days after the first succesful mating.

If you are spot on with your days, nature should take it's course and she will stand willingly for the dog. But as I have mentioned be prepared to restrain her gentley. When you take her back the second time you may find she is a little more cooperative.

Hope this helps!

PS

Make sure you get more than one mating for the stud fee!

Cheers

Gary

You don't give too much infomation but here are some suggestions:

1. Make sure your bitch is clean and in good health.

2. Make sure your dates are correct, generally the 11th to 13th day is regarded as the ideal but it can vary considerably. If in doubt you can have your bitch blood tested at the vets, this is very accurate but needs to be done very close to the optium time.

3. Don't assume because she is apparently standing she is ready. If she wouldn't co-operate she may have been frightened or worried.

4. As it it a maiden bitch have 2 matings 48 hours apart.

5. If you are a novice at breeding would strongly suggest you use an experienced stud dog belonging to people who know what to do.

6. Don't expect too much of your bitch, it can be very traumatic for some.

7. Don't appear too anxious, your bitch will detect this.

8. If the stud dog is having trouble hitting the target a little vaseline works wonders.

9. If your bitch was attacking the dog you may have to muzzle her, quite often after penetration they tend to calm down.

10. Read up on the subject so you know what to do and what to expect.

11. Breeding is a serious business, plan well ahead and get all the advise you can.

12. Don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work, there be other opportunities.

13. Sometimes the dog and bitch just don't like each other.

Thats a few to be going on with, no doubt others can give you further advise.

Jeff

Hello Gary,

We met last year when my mate Bill and I shot with you. I'm very handsome and he's very old (and unlikely to read this!) Mustard coloured Merc estate ring a bell?

Just a few pointers that haven't been mentioned yet (and the ones above are all valid.)

It's not only the bitch who can be inexperienced, sometimes the dog is too. An experienced performer tends not to take no for an answer and gets on with it. A new boy fumbles a bit and can put the bitch off.

I find it best to leave them alone for a couple of hours in a quiet kennel, and leave them to it; if I hang around the bitch (in a strange environment) is reluctant to part from me and ignores the dog or pushes him off.

Kind Regards

Eug

If you are not sure about the time she has been in season choose the day when the discharge starts to lose it's colour.

You might need to put a wide strap under her belly to support her if the dog is heavy.

On a lighter note!

The only cow in a small town in the south-eastern part of England stopped giving milk. The people did some research and found that they could buy a cow just across the border in Wales for £150. They brought the cow from Wales and the cow was wonderful. It produced lots of milk all of the time, and the people were very happy.

They decided to acquire a bull to mate with the cow to produce more cows like it. They would never have to worry about their milk supply again. They bought the bull and put it in the pasture with their beloved cow. However, whenever the bull tried to mount the cow, the cow would move away. No matter what approach the bull tried, the cow would move away from the bull and he could not succeed in his quest. The people were very upset and decided to ask the local Rabbi, who was very wise, what to do.

They told the Rabbi what was happening. "Whenever the bull tries to mount our cow, she moves away. If he approaches from the back, she moves forward. When he approaches her from the front, she backs off. An attempt from the side, she walks away to the other side."

The Rabbi thought about this for a minute and asked, "Did you by chance, buy this cow in Wales?"

The people were dumbfounded, since no one had ever mentioned where they bought the cow. "You are truly a wise man," they said. "How did you know we got the cow in Wales?"

The Rabbi replied, "My wife is from Wales."