How to make a ladder trap

Poacher

Right here goes, the weather was awful today and the crows have been really bugging me since the corn was cut recently. One shot and they're off.

Below is the way i made my ladder trap i'm not sure if its the perfect solution, but hopefully it will work

If your not aware of what a ladder trap is, its very simple.

The trap is baited, Crows land on the ladder fold their wings in and pop into the trap. However the gaps in the ladder are a certain size and is set high enough so that when they try to escape they have to spread their wings and hence cannot get back out of the gap they came in...

Firstly bits you'll need screwdriver/cordless drill if you've got one + plenty of 2x1 and some dowelling the pic below shows the brackets i used and the two different screw lengths (3/4" & 1 1/2")

Various043.jpg

Firstly i made the ends, i just made the dimensions up as i went along, but always kept in mind that the ladder must be high enough to keep the birds in. I started by creating a U shape, where the sides are the height (1.5m) and the base (1.8m) is the width

Below shows a bracket for 1 corner

Various036.jpg

Once the U was created the next thing was to add a piece in the centre of the U (using the other bracket) as shown below

now creating a W shape (sort of)

Various037.jpg

Once the W was created, the next step was to place two batons (at the top of the sides towards the centre) at an angle inwards to create the inverted roof. The picture shows it better

Various040.jpg

Where batons meet in the middle an angle has to cut so they fit flush. Here i've used a bracket, however the inner two holes use the larger screws as they go through two pieces of wood, and the outer uses the small screw for the single thickness of wood. Hopefully you can see below

Various038.jpg

Once the basic shape has been created, i turned the section over and cut all the extra lengths off to create a flush finish.

Now to make the ladder

Take two pieces of baton and cut them to the length you want your trap to be. Then drill holes along the length (the same diameter as your baton) at 6" intervals.

Cut your dowelling rod at 13" lengths (the theory is that the gap must be 12" wide so 1/2" is recessed each side and the resultant gap is 12")

Stick the rod in the holes made and close the box around it using the 2x1, again i've used the brackets (if you can get someone to help you with this bit it would be easier, i was on me own and as one end went in the other popped out and vice versa) See pic below for the ladder

Various042.jpg

Right now you've got your ends and the ladder its time to put them together.

I cocked this bit up slightly because i tried cutting 'birds mouth' type joints but it wouldn't fit together all that securely so a better solution was to sit the ladder ontop of the central upright of the W, Once in position it can be screwed in no probs

see below.

Various045.jpg

Once the ladder is screwed in place simply baton some lengths to the sides to strengthen up the whole structure.

Below is a picture of it so far, other things that can be added are a door to get access, which would be fairly simple to screw onto a corner + the wire mesh needs to be added. It could be a good idea to add this as you went along, i'll find out when i try and attach it later on. See below

Various047.jpg

Next to add a door, i chose to make mine swing outwards, so that when/if the trap is full the birds won't go to ape. The problem with this is it can be pushed from the inside, however a simple lock will cure that. A simple upright between the outer and central upright, then create a rectangular door. Note i wired the door before attaching to save extra stress. See below.

Various036-1.jpg

After this was in i chose to strenghten up the whole structure by adding cross bracket, type struts see below.

Various037-1.jpg

Now that the frame was strong and the door was in place the last thing to do was mesh it all, i just used a staple gun and then knocked them in with a hammer.

Last pic showing some of the mesh

Various038-1.jpg

The dimensions for the ladder were taken from a guide, the rest is pretty self explanatory, just make sure the ladder is high enough (mine is set to about 0.9-1m). I can't recommend the brackets enough they really do help, those brackets cost me £2 for a pack of 10 don't skimp. + i'd advise a cordless drill. unfortunately they haven't invented them in cornwall yet, so i've got a few blisters from using the screwdriver. :lol:

Will try and post some pics of this baby in action when its finished.

Also be advised that the trap need to be fixed to the ground or else the birds will escape if it gets knocked over. (i'm going to use pegs, by drilling a small hole in the bottom baton and then using a tent peg or something similar).

Will post dimensions later

Please Note: I've been reliably informed that the first section of the ladder (at each end) needs to be meshed in order to stop the crows climbing up the side mesh and back out the ladder.

I'm not sure how well they work for magpies, they are wiley so and so's, however for corvids they are the bees knees.

Off to shoot a rabbit as bait and put it all in the field tommorow. Will hopefully post some good results.

Magpies will go into them. I often saw them in mine when I had it set. But I had the ladder size set for greycrows, which are a lot bigger and less agile in flight IMO, so the magpies could easily fly out again. Clean up what's first on your list then set the ladder a bit smaller (that's why I made mine adjustable) and you should be sound. It'd be trial and error to get the right size I'd imagine. White bread is another decent bait as it shows up well against grass.

It looks a fair weight to move around how are you moving it? I made mine of partridge pen sections cable tied and with two slanting for the roof, very effective traps, as george says leave one side or the rungs of the ladder off to get the birds used to feeding in there, and pulling all their mates in.

Looks good mate, might be worth putting ply over the first gap at either end of the ladder because i have found that they will climb up the side and get out. Also they might jump out as i have learnt from experience if the ladder is too close to the ground.

That been done now thanks to John G putting me straight. :good:

It looks a fair weight to move around how are you moving it? I made mine of partridge pen sections cable tied and with two slanting for the roof, very effective traps, as george says leave one side or the rungs of the ladder off to get the birds used to feeding in there, and pulling all their mates in.

Its suprisingly light although the size makes it awkard, transport is by trailer.

I havent put it out yet but will leave the door open for a small while to get them in first.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...