Fittin new spring HW35

Guest fred101

Guest rabgoat

loopy bunny blaster,.or anyone else is welcome to help if they wish to, i need some tips on how to get the HW35 back together again with out injuring myself again :D i near wrecked myself last night trying to get the spring pushed down and tightened again,any help would be greatful.

Guest rabgoat

I got the rifle back together,new spring fitted but it didn't make an ounce of difference,still puttin out 7.7 ftbs with the H&N FTT pellets.is there anythting else i can do to increase hitting power or is she knackered,cheers ;)

Hi Bud, I suggest you take a look at the face of the cylinder of your HW35 when you cock it, The locking catch on that model over time wears a vertical groove on the the cylinder face, which encroaches where the the O ring seal in the barrel closes down on it, you might require a new seal, failing that, carefully remove the barrel seal ( with a stout needle) and pack out the O ring groove with a circle of white string, and replace the O ring, rechrono and if the power is up then you require a new O ring!... cheers Bud, Over the last 35 years I have worked on dozens of HW models so my advice is true. ;)

Guest rabgoat
Hi Bud, I suggest you take a look at the face of the cylinder of your HW35 when you cock it, The locking catch on that model over time wears a vertical groove on the the cylinder face, which encroaches where the the O ring seal in the barrel closes down on it, you might require a new seal, failing that, carefully remove the barrel seal ( with a stout needle) and pack out the O ring groove with a circle of white string, and replace the O ring, rechrono and if the power is up then you require a new O ring!... cheers Bud, Over the last 35 years I have worked on dozens of HW models so my advice is true. :lol:

cheers berettaman1,will try that ;)

Guest rabgoat
Hi Bud, I suggest you take a look at the face of the cylinder of your HW35 when you cock it, The locking catch on that model over time wears a vertical groove on the the cylinder face, which encroaches where the the O ring seal in the barrel closes down on it, you might require a new seal, failing that, carefully remove the barrel seal ( with a stout needle) and pack out the O ring groove with a circle of white string, and replace the O ring, rechrono and if the power is up then you require a new O ring!... cheers Bud, Over the last 35 years I have worked on dozens of HW models so my advice is true. :whistling:

I can't see much wear on the cylinder face,i took out the barrel seal,packed in some plumbers tabe rolled up like a piece of string,raised it up a bit,chronoed the rifle still excatly the same :shifty:

Guest rabgoat
have you given the barrel a good clean?

no i havn't cleaned the barrel at all,iv'e just recently got the gun it's a rough old thing,but looking down the barrel it's shining like a shilling,i didn't think that would make much a difference to the power.but i'll give it a go

Guest rabgoat
have you given the barrel a good clean?

just cleaned the rifle using a method i seen on PW watched recently,using rizzla rollup tips soaked in parker & hale 009,i thought the barrel was clean,i couldn't believe the lead came out of it.,,well it did improve it by nearly 1ftb,it's better than nothing..thanks for the advice lads.

Ime wondering if the head washer is ok? if its a real old HW they used to have a leather piston washer fitted in the 1950,s and i960,s if its a later model late 70,s onward they changed to the nylon head if its nylon check that its not had a scollop nicked out of it, if its good you should be able to put your finger over the transfer port (when down to just the cylinder and piston( insert piston down to where the seal is just into the compression part, put finger over the trasfer port and press the piston down if its not leaking air you will feel the resistance, if you can push the piston all the way down then the washer is cream crackered. cheers bud.

Guest rabgoat

I stripped the gun down today,got a guide from (henryd) on the hw35 it was of great help.a lot of info on cleaning etc.thanks again hd ??? well the head washer is the nylon one it seemed to be fine,covered the transfer port and pushed down there was no loss of air anywhere that i could see,i couldn't push the piston the whole way down,totally degreased everything cleaned rite down in the cylinder,i put the gun back together and the first shot with eley wasps was coming out at 20ftb :good: then the next 4 or 5shot were around 17-18ftb, there was noticebly a bigger kick out of her,then it suddenly dropped to around 8ftb,it seems to have settled down at this :lol:

I stripped the gun down today,got a guide from (henryd) on the hw35 it was of great help.a lot of info on cleaning etc.thanks again hd :good: well the head washer is the nylon one it seemed to be fine,covered the transfer port and pushed down there was no loss of air anywhere that i could see,i couldn't push the piston the whole way down,totally degreased everything cleaned rite down in the cylinder,i put the gun back together and the first shot with eley wasps was coming out at 20ftb ??? then the next 4 or 5shot were around 17-18ftb, there was noticebly a bigger kick out of her,then it suddenly dropped to around 8ftb,it seems to have settled down at this :(

Yes the reason for the high power readings was because it was dieseling, as excess oil in the cylinder was burnt off,years ago some airgunners used to put a few drops of diesel oil into the barrel behind the pellet with power outputs as you have described but with results that offten wrecked the cylinder, one of my mates had a Webley MK3 which developed a bulge in the cylinder which made the rifle scrap. if its only doing 8 f/pounds then you need a better spring than the one you have fitted,

Guest rabgoat

i was wondering why it smelt like there was a fire lit inside the cylinder,it was dieseling,the iv'e just fitted is a new ox spring would the titan one be any better,i don't think the hw35 can be fitted with a gas ram can it ? thanks berretaman1

no dont use any of those springs, in my opinion they are ****,Sandwell Supplies sell a very good own make spring which is excellent, and is only about £15.00,? you will not get much more than 11.5 foot pounds with the HW 35 ,due in the main to it having a long transfer port , however they are smooth to shoot get in touch with Tony Wall who is the tuner at Sandwell supplies he is a honest bloke and will advise you , yes your right. the HW35 can not be fitted with a gas ram cheers bud. :good: PS I have just had a thought if your gun is .22 and you are using Wasp ammo then remember wasp do 2 .22 sizes 5.5 and 5.6, if you are using 5.6 then they are too tight in the HW35 bore, try some H&N or RWS ammo.

Guest rabgoat
no dont use any of those springs, in my opinion they are ****,Sandwell Supplies sell a very good own make spring which is excellent, and is only about £15.00,? you will not get much more than 11.5 foot pounds with the HW 35 ,due in the main to it having a long transfer port , however they are smooth to shoot get in touch with Tony Wall who is the tuner at Sandwell supplies he is a honest bloke and will advise you , yes your right. the HW35 can not be fitted with a gas ram cheers bud. ??? PS I have just had a thought if your gun is .22 and you are using Wasp ammo then remember wasp do 2 .22 sizes 5.5 and 5.6, if you are using 5.6 then they are too tight in the HW35 bore, try some H&N or RWS ammo.

thanks berettaman1 some sound info and help :good: i did try H&N FTT they were coming out at something similar to the WASPS,..CHEERS.........