Shooting Foxes with air rifles?

WeihrauchPower

Here is the post

As I am about to take delivery of my new Gamo CFX air rifle in .177 it got me thinking, can I take a fox with this thing. Shooting a fox with an air rifle is seldom heard of (to me anyway), but with these new Gamo Raptor made of Performance Ballistic Alloy it might just be possible. Some info extracted from a review of a Gamo Shadow in the latest Autralian Shooter said that these new Raptor pellets were fired from 10m in to a 2" piece of pine and the Raptor pellet was the only one to go straight through, with a large exit wound. I’m not expecting to drop a fox out at 50m, but if I whistle em in nice and close (which is how I like to do it) surely a well placed head shot would drop one cold? It's not like i don't have other rifles for foxes, and I don’t think I would head out on a fox hunt armed only with an air rifle, but I would love to know that it is up for the job in the right circumstance.

Here is a later comment by the same poster

Well Gigitt, cant say I've ever pegged a bunny with my foot!!. What I'm more interested in knowing is the clean kill factor. Being the etical hunter that I am I don't want to see a fox run off with a hole in it face if I can avoid it.

Seems a decent sort in my opinion and he's just asking a honest question at the end of the day

..."the latest Autralian Shooter said that these new Raptor pellets were fired from 10m in to a 2" piece of pine and the Raptor pellet was the only one to go straight through, with a large exit wound. I’m not expecting to drop a fox out at 50m, but if I whistle em in nice and close"...

Never heard of those pellets - are they all they claim to be? That sounds like it'll do more damage than a .22 subsonic :yes:

..."the latest Autralian Shooter said that these new Raptor pellets were fired from 10m in to a 2" piece of pine and the Raptor pellet was the only one to go straight through, with a large exit wound. I’m not expecting to drop a fox out at 50m, but if I whistle em in nice and close"...

Never heard of those pellets - are they all they claim to be? That sounds like it'll do more damage than a .22 subsonic :)

Not sure as i've never used them. They are the ones used to take out the pig in the Gamo video on Youtube.

I find it hard to believe myself!

Also i might add i have nothing against the guy who posted the thread but i find the replies, well, interesting!

If you feel the need to test your skills (ie Fox close range with an air rifle), why not buy a bow? Better still make one yourself! :yes:

• 2 years later...

ERM YEH.. I SMELL A LITTLE BIT OF ******** i was promised great results with these PBA ammo .. im not going to lie i have never been so dissapointed.. i have two .22 air rifles and a .177 , i hunt rabbits and the odd hare with them and many a crow and the illusive woody..all are set at the legal limit. i normally use eley wasps for their consistency , but i streched my budget and bought some pba ammo (probably ******** ammo) and the first thing i noticed my accuracy had gone. completely. i didnt take them out to the field but i next noticed my spinner targets no longer spun..i also have some hard board wood targets about half an inch thick and my wasps slam straight through them and out the other side.. and theese*PBA's.. fairly dangeriously rebounded off. from my experience, im pretty sure pba ammo would make rat hunting a little more difficult and exciting..and if you managed to hit a fox with these, its more likely to to die from the lead poisoning.

• 2 weeks later...