Identifying my BSA Meteor!

Matthais_31

Hi guys,

Right! Went down the shop today to get myself an air rifle whilst the FAC comes through, basically just for plinking. The BSA Meteor seemed to be a universally acclaimed little thing for the money, so off i popped to purchase one. The rifle was taken off the rack and shoved in a box, along with the manual.

Now, when I got home and looked at the manual, it said Mk.7 on it, and was claiming to be a full powered air rifle. However, beceause the rifle didnt come ready boxed, but was instead pulled off the shelf, im not sure if I have a Mk.7 or a Mk.6. Is there anyway to tell without going down to the shop again and asking them?!

Thanks in advance guys,

Matt

Ah right, probably a good idea! The more I do image searches, the more the Mk.6 doesnt seem to have a cheek piece...or comb...or whatever its called, whereas mine does....

31422307sh6.jpg

46288379oe5.jpg

98804232uu1.jpg

Apologies if I have done this incorrectly, I dont know how to upload pics on this forum!

The barrel just says BSA Guns Ltd. England, then the BSA logo - further down near the scope mount it says BSA Meteor.

Thanks in advance guys

Matt

There should be a code located on the underside of the breech where the cocking slide arm connects. You will see a small number on one side that starts with the following:

Mk1 = N & T

Mk2 = NA & TA

Mk3 = NB & TB - NG & TG

Mk4 = NB & TB - NG & TG

Mk5 = NH & TH

Super5= NH & TH

Mk6 = ZE & WE

• 2 weeks later...

I have just dragged by old BSA Meteor out of the loft and it would appear to be a Mk 1 from from BSA Shaun's post. The serial no starts with a T-F and it has a BSA 4x20 scope on it. Would it be worth selling or just a keeper as I have had it since I was a boy but no longer use it.

I have just dragged by old BSA Meteor out of the loft and it would appear to be a Mk 1 from from BSA Shaun's post. The serial no starts with a T-F and it has a BSA 4x20 scope on it. Would it be worth selling or just a keeper as I have had it since I was a boy but no longer use it.

There is a buyer for everything somewhere mate, if its no longer used let someone else enjoy it :good:

HIGH BUD YOUR BSA LOOKS LIKE A MK6 ALSO A LITTLE ON AMMO THERE R TWO SIZES 5.5 AND 5.6 BUT AS FAR AS I KNOW ELY WASP IS THE ONLY 5.6 PELLETS U CAN STILL GET . I USE THEM IN MY BSA METEOR AS IT IS AN OLDER VERSION .YOUR IS A NEW GUN THEN USE 5.5 DOME HEADS THERE R PLENTY ON THE MARKET. HOPE THIS HAS HELPED GOOD SHOOTING !!!!!!!!

if id bough it,and it was suppose to be a mk 7,and they give me a mk 6 in mk7 box,id be back having a few words the shop keeper :good::blush:

But if the MK7 does not exist officially, then how can you complain?

Since GAMO own BSA, they probably used a GAMO stock on it.

• 1 year later...

sorry to stir up an old thread but...........

hi new member here had my air rifle for about 6-7 years now but dont use it much , i found this thread through google trying to find info about it out....

looking at the serial numbers above mine is none of them mine is te76900 i went back and checked and its defitnatly that its got bsa rifles england written on barrel and meteor written where scope is , i also still have the original sights some where lol

can i fit a new spring to it like the universal ones advertised or will that make it over 12lb???

also is there a really basic test to test power like shooting a tin can and it will go through both sides or something silly?:good:

thanks ken

...... also is there a really basic test to test power like shooting a tin can and it will go through both sides or something silly?:good: ....

The only sure way is to use a chronograph.

Try your local gun-dealer, who, if he services air-rifles will almost certainly be able to test it for you, and if he fitted the spring would ensure that it was legal

• 6 years later...

Holy Necro post batman!

My 2 cents

What ftlbs is it pushing out as generally meteor were only meant to shoot at around 7-9 ft lbs. You could drop in an oxspring or something similar from Chambers or Knibbs but with an uprated spring but you risk it getting twangy and you can lose a bit of accuracy.

You may be able to negate some of this by polishing the internals and getting a decent tophat and spring guide. On the flip side the above would be a help new spring or not.

It depends what you want to do and how much you want to spend

Edited by Zenduri

I'm in the same frame of mind as Zenduri-if you start trying to make it something that it was never designed to be you could ruin it-if you want something with a bit more oomph then px it against a newer higher powered model-some of the posts on the Airgun section seem to indicate that you can get a good quality, high powered and accurate Turkish built rifle for less than £100-might be worth reading?