Moderator for Tikka T3

reggiegun

Hi All,

Need some advice on what is the best mod to get for my Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in .223 cal.

Regards,

Reggie Gun

I Would go for a PES stainless,over barrel mod, a little more expensive than the T8 but, you can strip them down and clean them with ease instead of it being a sealed unit like the T8.

Just my 2p worth, having said that I have a T8 and it's great.

Moses

I Would go for a PES stainless,over barrel mod, a little more expensive than the T8 but, you can strip them down and clean them with ease instead of it being a sealed unit like the T8.

I have one of these and it isn't strippable, it would seem some are and some aren't.

Mine is a T12 short.

Having said that, stainless steel is the best material to make mods out of IMHO.

I,ve got a Stainless,strippable Pes on my .22 250..too heavy,but quiet!

Got a Wildcat on my .243,again strippable,a lot lighter but the shop sold me an up to .308 mod.Far too loud so i rang them back,only to be told "we,ve sold over 40 of these to customers with .243,s and had no complaints"

My reply "thats because they ain,t got another rifle with a mod on and don,t know how quiet it should be"...still no sense out of them!Said they,d take it up with the supplier.

5 days later they said "can,t get in touch with them".....So i e-mailed the supplier,who said mine was the only complaint in over 1100 sales :yes: i,m famous,They said to send the baffle section to them and they,d replace with the up to .243 section...Oh yes,and they had spoken to the shop 3 times in the previous 2 days and this wasn,t mentioned :lol:

Anyway,next time i rang the shop they couldn,t be more helpful ;)(think they got a smacked botty) they ordered me a new baffle section in...they weren,t very talkative when i went to pick it up though :blink: :lol: zeroed it yesterday Same POI as before :lol: and even though it,s on the .243,it seeems quieter than the Pes....

So if you go for one of these,get the up to .243 version £215

GH

I am in a similar position should be getting my 223 in a couple of weeks time, I have been looking at various mods and am undecided which would be the best initally I was going to go for a T4AR but the issue of not being able to strip it and clean it has put me off a bit. Yesterday I had a look at a wildcat predator 8 which looks good but I know of 3 people who have used the older wildcats and ditched them because of the big shift in zero every time they removed them has any one had a similar problem with the predator 8 mod. Also how would anyone who has used the these mods rate them against an ASE ULTRA. :rolleyes:

I am in a similar position should be getting my 223 in a couple of weeks time, I have been looking at various mods and am undecided which would be the best initally I was going to go for a T4AR but the issue of not being able to strip it and clean it has put me off a bit. Yesterday I had a look at a wildcat predator 8 which looks good but I know of 3 people who have used the older wildcats and ditched them because of the big shift in zero every time they removed them has any one had a similar problem with the predator 8 mod. Also how would anyone who has used the these mods rate them against an ASE ULTRA. :rolleyes:

What do you mean by shift in zero?

Now I am no expert at all but I thought mods did change the point of impact or zero.

The only real concern I have is as follows: I zero the rifle with the moderator on, I then take off the moderator for storage. When I go shooting again I put the mod back on. At this point you want the rifle to have kept its zero, the act off taking the mod off and putting it back on should not mess with the point of impact.

Firing the rifle unmoderated and then placing the mod on will indeed change the point of impact or zero though as far as I know and it doesn't really matter what brand of moderator it is.

What do you mean by shift in zero?

Now I am no expert at all but I thought mods did change the point of impact or zero.

The only real concern I have is as follows: I zero the rifle with the moderator on, I then take off the moderator for storage. When I go shooting again I put the mod back on. At this point you want the rifle to have kept its zero, the act off taking the mod off and putting it back on should not mess with the point of impact.

Firing the rifle unmoderated and then placing the mod on will indeed change the point of impact or zero though as far as I know and it doesn't really matter what brand of moderator it is.

Yeh what I was told by these people was that when they had taken the mod off for cleaning and put it back on they were then having to rezero the scope as the zero point had moved. This was on the older wildcat mods though they new predator 8 are probably fine which is why I was asking if anyone who uses one has had similar problems.

Edited by stuartp

Also how would anyone who has used the these mods rate them against an ASE ULTRA. :rolleyes:

Its ASE UTRA.

They are still not over barrel (they say they are looking into it) but they are very well made.

A few people on here have them Dougy and AP Build from memory.

As for zero shift, what Vageta says is true, you will have 2 zero points, mod on and mod off (unless you are very very lucky)

I also heard the early Wildcats did not hold zero, but there are plenty of happy customers out there, so either it was just a rumour of they fixed it.

Wildcat Predator 8 compact for me more like the t4 nice and small but works great

Cheers Magman I take it you have not had any issues with accuracy using the Predator 8 after removal and refitting. I think this is looking more like the mod I will go for, its not much more than a reflex and its stippable with replacement parts available. :rolleyes:

Wildcat Predator 8 compact for me more like the t4 nice and small but works great

Cheers Magman I take it you have not had any issues with accuracy using the Predator 8 after removal and refitting. I think this is looking more like the mod I will go for, its not much more than a reflex and its stippable with replacement parts available. :rolleyes:

No problems at all :D

Photo-0104.jpg

No problems at all :D

Out of interest how many rounds have you put through it now Rob? Also how often do you need to strip clean it?

Cheers Magman I take it you have not had any issues with accuracy using the Predator 8 after removal and refitting. I think this is looking more like the mod I will go for, its not much more than a reflex and its stippable with replacement parts available. :D

No problems at all :lol:

Out of interest how many rounds have you put through it now Rob? Also how often do you need to strip clean it?

Oly have put about 300 rounds through it now stripped it the other day but did not clean it as there was not a great deal in it :rolleyes:

so the answer to your question is i dont no ?

Regards Rob