Tagging pheasants

Hello guys,

Am thinking about tagging/ringing my pheasants before i release them this coming season, just to see how far they can go. Now leg rings seem to be expensive, and apparently not very effective, so ive looked into wing tagging but wouldnt have a clue how to tag them using the device.

Anyone any ideas on what rings/ tags i could use for a growing pheasant poult of 7 weeks of age?

Many thanks

Alex :blink:

Hello guys,

Am thinking about tagging/ringing my pheasants before i release them this coming season, just to see how far they can go. Now leg rings seem to be expensive, and apparently not very effective, so ive looked into wing tagging but wouldnt have a clue how to tag them using the device.

Anyone any ideas on what rings/ tags i could use for a growing pheasant poult of 7 weeks of age?

Many thanks

Alex :rolleyes:

I only ever did this once and the results were interesting, we shot more untagged birds, where ours went we dont know.

If you are shooting enough birds then leave well alone,or your syndicate members will be asking where "their " birds went and do you need to put any down?/ you may then have to really earn your crust by sustaining the wild population or become redundant :lol:

I say that tongue in cheek, but seriously the results are not always what you would prefer.

:good: D2D

:wub: D2D

I was reading in "Will's shoot" that he toe slit marks the birds. I am not entirely sure what he means by this but thought I'd put it up in case anyone else had more information.

I have heard of filing slot marks in the claws, which this might refer to. The same can apparently be done with the beaks.

Yeah i get all my keepering equipment from solway feeders, and had looked on it for ideas about tagging. I knew most of the methods, but didnt know how to implement any of them. (hence the thread)

Cheers for the replies, i dont think im going to tag them now as its going to work out alot more time/money than its worth.

Alex :good:

Think we're going to use the leg tags this year to try and work out how our birds disperse from our release pens. We have a small wood on our boundary, where we currently do not release birds, but last year got a lot of shooting from, but the birds could have come from a number of places. If we tag them this year hopefully we can find out which would they are coming from (mainly) and try and improve that wood for them.

I think they are a useful tool, only cost about £4 a 100 so will be £20 for us this season.

Thats cheap, the ones ive been looking at which expand so the leg doesnt get trapped are £1 for 10. I would be alittle worried putting a ring on a leg of a 7 week old poult which still is growing as it could restrict the growth of the bird.

Id love to try it, but have spent too much already on rearing equipment.

Alex

:good:

Thats cheap, the ones ive been looking at which expand so the leg doesnt get trapped are £1 for 10. I would be alittle worried putting a ring on a leg of a 7 week old poult which still is growing as it could restrict the growth of the bird.

Id love to try it, but have spent too much already on rearing equipment.

Alex

:good:

Just buy the 12mm ones mate, put them on and there's plenty of room until they grow fully size. If you're worried get the 14mm which is about 30p more

Scott

• 2 weeks later...