Eley cartridges

Rocket, no way, they were made from 1931 till around1946, then the Eley Tracer were made from 1967 to about 1970. There was a storage problem with them, the bismuth tracer compound deteriorated after 6 months or so, so even if you found some, it is very unlikely that the tracer would work. I have a vague recollection of a European country making some more recently than 1970, but a vague recollection is all that it is.

They're banned at most clay grounds, and if you think they'll help you become a better shot by being able to see where you're missing, 'fraid not, they don't work that way, they create an optical illusion whereby the tracer apears to "curve" in an arc in most cases.

Far better to have somebody that knows what they're doing stand directly behind you and can tell you where you are shooting relative to the target.

Cat.

They're banned at most clay grounds, and if you think they'll help you become a better shot by being able to see where you're missing, 'fraid not, they don't work that way, they create an optical illusion whereby the tracer apears to "curve" in an arc in most cases.

Far better to have somebody that knows what they're doing stand directly behind you and can tell you where you are shooting relative to the target.

Cat.

Very true, they are a fun item and that's about all. The wad with the tracer pellet in it did not follow the line of shot, and dropped off very quickly. Another novelty item that fell by the wayside.

Cat.

you get the same curve if you watch the shot pattern though

Someone was manufacturing some tracer cartridges in the mid to late 90's if I recall.. they were called something like True Trace I think and claimed to have the tracer in with the shot as opposed to the wadding. They must have had some kind of fuse leading through the wadding to ignite the tracer.

I can't seem to find any info on them on google but then I think they were rather shortlived... probably because they were hideously expensive! :no:

• 2 weeks later...