Pheasant.

Melonfish

right. i understand that it is not pheasant season and that it runs from aug til feb. however i want to know the viability of hunting pheasant with an airgun and a springer at that.

the local site i visit for airsoft is PACKED with the blighters and i'm luckily getting the opportunity to go out with the current permission holder on that land (and a few more opportunities too coming up)

for instance, yesterday i was lay up in ambush under a bush waiting for the apposing team to walk by my position... just as the third man walks past my point i'm ready to open up on them (classic ambush) and a whole herd (is it herd?) suddenly runs through my position flapping and squawking! needless to say as soon as they flapped off i got lit up like a christmas tree.... (ow)

i'm asking because when the time comes i'll probebly have an opportunity to go for em BUT i want to know if i can do so with a 12ft-lb air rifle or would i just be maiming an animal i should be shooting with something bigger? (headshots of course)

thanks

pete

Pete,

There is a pinned notice at the top of the airgunners section regarding airgun practices etc.

Failing that -

Quote from Total Airgun Hunting:

"The unwritten rules of air rifle hunting make it clear that there are some species that never qualify as legitimate or sporting quarry. These include all the game birds, which may well present easy targets when dibbing about on the edge of a wood, but your permission will be very quickly withdrawn if you are seen to be 'tempted' by such easy targets."

It may be that you manage to get permission from the land owner to shoot pheasants on your permission, but the notion will never be well received on PW im afraid :yes:

Jim.

The season runs from October the 1st to Feburary the 1st.

I would use the term herd for hooved mammals personally. I call a group of pheasants a harem or a flock.

The chances are that it is PACKED is because there are shoots nearby that release them and then they shoot them in the season with shotguns either walked up or driven.

Does this person who you will be going out with shoot pheasants with an airgun already?

I reccomend you do not as they are a game bird, not vermin.

FM :yes:

to my knowledge he does indeed shoot pheasants in season. although i can't say if its with an airgun. mostly likely not tbh but no worries i think i'll leave em be unless i'm packing the proper kit. i'll leave the airgun to tree rats, rabbits, pigeons and other vermin.

cheers chaps :yes:

pete

Ollie,

A Nye or Nide of Pheasants when on the ground and a Bouquet when flushed - I had to Google it!

Only argument for killing a pheseant with an airgun would be to put it out of its misery.

ps. Went to the Valley on Sunday with Stillsey - did OK ;-)

Good shooting.

Jon.

to my knowledge he does indeed shoot pheasants in season. although i can't say if its with an airgun. mostly likely not tbh but no worries i think i'll leave em be unless i'm packing the proper kit. i'll leave the airgun to tree rats, rabbits, pigeons and other vermin.

cheers chaps :good:

pete

Maybe you should check up on the law relating to air rifles also because;

"The law makes no distinction between air rifles and more powerful guns for which you need a licence – they are all classed as firearms. This means that any offence you commit can carry a very heavy penalty – and there are at least 38 different offences."

From the BASC Air rifles code of practice. http://www.basc.org.uk/content/airriflepractice

I'm pretty sure this post is a wind up, this guy ought to be hung up by his sensitive bits and flogged with his Diana .177 for even contemplating such an idea.

That's what the adjacent Keeper would be inclined to do if ever he heard about it, quite right too.

Whatever next, Muntjac hunting with catapults..??

Cat

"The law makes no distinction between air rifles and more powerful guns for which you need a licence – they are all classed as firearms. This means that any offence you commit can carry a very heavy penalty – and there are at least 38 different offences."

From the BASC Air rifles code of practice. http://www.basc.org.uk/content/airriflepractice

I'm pretty sure that this only apllies to offenses such as armed tresspass etc.

As far as I know, a legal limit sub 12ft/lb airgun is not a firearm, hence it requires no FAC unless it goes over the legal limit.

I'm pretty sure that this only apllies to offenses such as armed tresspass etc.

As far as I know, a legal limit sub 12ft/lb airgun is not a firearm, hence it requires no FAC unless it goes over the legal limit.

Well, I would not argue with a man who obviously knows the law better than the BASC Lawyers, Solicitors and Barristers.

What part of ""The law makes no distinction between air rifles and more powerful guns for which you need a licence – they are all classed as firearms." do you not understand? :good:

I'm pretty sure this post is a wind up, this guy ought to be hung up by his sensitive bits and flogged with his Diana .177 for even contemplating such an idea.

That's what the adjacent Keeper would be inclined to do if ever he heard about it, quite right too.

Whatever next, Muntjac hunting with catapults..??

Cat

actually no it isn't a wind up, i wanted to know what the stance on it was. now i know, ask not and you shall walk in ignorance and all that?

as for Muntjac, i think a trebuchet might be a little bit overkill and somewhat innacurate.... :good:

I'll probably get a bit of criticism for this but if you ask the the landowner (or keeper if theres a shoot on your permission) if you could take one or two for the pot and they say yes then i don't see why you should'nt so long as you don't go overboard and only take a couple during the season then whats the problem, an airgun will drop them stone dead at sensible ranges with a head shot but as i've said always ask the landowner if it's ok.

i agree with ss12, if you fancy pheasant for dinner and its ok with the land owner i would pop a pheasant, ime not saying i would shoot them for sport with an airrifle but whats the difference between a sitting rabbit or a pigeon sitting in a tree or a sitting pheasant, as long as its a head shot and quick and painless killing is killing.

aye, well other then rat anything i plan on shooting will be eaten. rats just get to go to the next life for free :) the blighters.

i'll prolly leave it for now. i'm not confident enough just yet to bag pheasant with a rifle. with my hands would be easier where i airsoft in fact lol. i just need to lie in wait till they walk past and grab one :yes:

pete

• 1 month later...
i have shot pheasant with .22 springers, no problems. i keep the ranges short.

is that the faint buzzing of a stirred up hornets nest i hear?? hahaha

is their not a piece of law that says you cant shoot game birds with single solid projectiles the same piece that says you cant shoot game with any gun holding more than 2 carts in the mag :good:

Edited by highseas

right. i understand that it is not pheasant season and that it runs from aug til feb. however i want to know the viability of hunting pheasant with an airgun and a springer at that.

the local site i visit for airsoft is PACKED with the blighters and i'm luckily getting the opportunity to go out with the current permission holder on that land (and a few more opportunities too coming up)

for instance, yesterday i was lay up in ambush under a bush waiting for the apposing team to walk by my position... just as the third man walks past my point i'm ready to open up on them (classic ambush) and a whole herd (is it herd?) suddenly runs through my position flapping and squawking! needless to say as soon as they flapped off i got lit up like a christmas tree.... (ow)

i'm asking because when the time comes i'll probebly have an opportunity to go for em BUT i want to know if i can do so with a 12ft-lb air rifle or would i just be maiming an animal i should be shooting with something bigger? (headshots of course)

thanks

pete

Game birds should be hunted with a shotgun of appropriate gauge and cartridge size for the conditions, the species of bird that is to be hunted and skill of the shooter should also be considered when selecting the weapon and ammunition

As most people on PW will tell you, have respect for your quarry, that means hunting and dispatching it in the correct way. Some people mock the traditions and protocol of game shooting in a modern shooting environment but they are there for a reason.

In short, don't shoot pheasant with an air gun. It is both cruel, disrespectful to the quarry and offensive to the practice of game shooting as a whole. :good:

Axe instead of censoring a post because you happen to think it’s ‘out of place’ or ‘off topic’ (which I don't believe mine was) why not join the debate. I consistently argue that guns are all too easy for inexperienced people to buy with little or no knowledge of their subject, an arguement often given more credence by some of the more ‘unusual’ posts on here. If you disagree then lets hear your views but please don’t lets get into the realms of high and mighty censorship just because you don’t like someones comments about a post. This is after all a discussion forum is it not?

What I object to is the way people use the forum to ask questions (some of which wouldn’t be out of place in ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest’) AFTER they’ve bought a gun and gone shooting. Shoot and ask questions later?:lol: NO WAY!