which barrel first !!

AdamHall

• 2 weeks later...

Under normal circumstances you always fire bottom barrel first.

Dedicated trap and skeet guns do not have selectors and fire bottom first. Its only sporting and game that have a selector to allow the opportunity to override the reduction in muzzle flip firing bottom first gives.

If you take a S's, and take a str line back through the barrels, the line comes out above the heel. Hence, all S/S muzzle flip regardless of which barrel is fired first. Here lies a major advantage of the U/O ( note Under then Over, so called because thats the best order to fire them), the pressure line on the bottom barrel is str into the heel and shoulder, thereby reducing the tendency for the gun to lift on firing first barrel.

As trap / skeet shooters often fire two shots in rapid succession, they will never want to be fighting muzzle flip from the top barrel before taking second shot, hence non selective guns are usually set choke with the more open on the bottom barrel.

Game / Sporters / M/C guns will often have a selective trigger, and allow top to be fired first. Why? Well in game you may have two widely different chokes, and even very different cartridges in the two chambers. Selective allows you to choose the BEST barrel for the particular range and quarry. For sporting shooters, in a driven pair, you would want the choking order reversed, closed first, more open second, and the selective trigger allows this without changing over the choke.

Jerry

Edited by clayman

It's not quite as simple as these boys say.

If you are shooting driven birds or incoming pigeons you want to fire your tightest choke first but if you are walking-up or shooting going away birds you want to shoot your more open choke first. That's easy to do if you have a normal gun with two triggers and you can instantly select which barrel to fire first but with a Beretty SP, you have to slide over the button on the safety catch which, quite honestly, is not really possible in the split second when deciding to take a shot. Probably best to put improved cylinder chokes in both barrels and forget about selcting.

Jim

My attitude is to make life simple. To many people worry about too many things when shooting.

To make my shooting simple, I shoot half / half, bottom barrel first reduces muzzle flip.

find a cartridge your happy with and stick with it. This eliminates all the doubts that come into your mind.

Some people would say half/half is a bit tight, but i like to kill game cold. I believe a beretta has tighter chokes

ie quarter choke is more like 3/8 which is between 1/4 and 1/2. If i could be bothered to buy two 3/8chokes for my

gun, i personnaly believe thats the best set up. You could always have your top barrel eased out.

In general Adam keep it simple and enjoy, thats what its really all about.

Mike :hmm: