Still Looking for Decent SIPE Replacment

Hi All,

I'm still in the process of trying to find a decent replacement cartridge of my usual RC SIPE 32's. Replacement can't be yellow as don't want to get them mixed up with my 20 bore shells after someone I know managing to blow up their DT10. :yp:

I've tried RC1 Game, RC Caccia 32g and RC Titano, the Caccia 32's didn't seem bad but still didn't kill as well as the SIPES.

Anyway went out earlier this week to a couple of shops and bought some of each of the following to try :

RC Prestige SIPE 32g Fibre 6's

Gamebore Black Gold High Velocity Game 32g and 30g Fibre 6's

Eley VIP Game 32g Photo degradable 6's

Express Supreme Game 30g Plastic 6's

Express Super Game 32g Plastic 6's

Express World Cup 28g 6.5's Fibre

I bought at least 100 and in most cases 250 of each to give them a good try, hopefully will be able to get out on the pigeons at the weekend to test.

I am hoping the RC Prestige Sipe will be as good as the normal SIPE's and will be VERY interested in anyone's experiences or comments on these and any others.

Will be using them as I have the SIPE's for Pigeon and Game.

I would be very grateful if we don't start the Plastic vs Fibre debate like many other thread's lately. :oops:

Hewey.

In my opinion for what it is worth you will not find a better cartridge than the Express Supreme Game. I use these in 30g and they kill extremely well to 45-50 yards.

If you are looking for a 2 3/4" non toxic load then the Supreme steel are exceptional as well

I tried the SIPEs today -32g #5's in the silver/grey case. Recoil was smooth- a push rather than a jab, while the Eley Grand Prix 30g #6 was more punchy. I only tried them on clays, but apart from the extra recoil I didn't have to change my sight picture very much. If anything the SIPE required a bit less lead on crossers. I'm shooting on a local walk and stand shoot next month, I'll let you know if they DON'T work well on pheasant.

I cut one cartridge open and measure the shot- average size is 2.8mm, so it's a true UK#5.

My only experience with the old (yellow) SIPE was a few shots with a borrowed SxS- recoil was much more noticable (the fact that the gun was slightly off the face did not help).

OK Guy's

Had a good go today at pigeons despite the rain. Picked a total of 125 birds.

Think I've given each cartridge a reasonable try. Anyway here are my results, conducted in a completely non scientific manner in a totally uncontrolled environment.!! :look:

1. Blak Gold's - Agree with many that recoil is noticably more than most seemed to kill quite well though, probably the 2nd best killer

2. RC SIPE Prestige - Not bad at all very close to the Black Gold's but with less recoil.

3. Eley VIP's - Fairly smooth, reasonable results but didn't seem to kill as well as the 2 above.

4. Express Super Game - The most dissapointing of all, least recommended.

5. Express Supreme Game - Better than the Super's but not a patch on the rest

6. Express World Cup - The Lightest load but the most impressive of all, yes they are meant to be a clay shell and they're only 28g's with Fibre wad but in 6.5's these really were in my experience today the best killers. These were one of the cheapest yet performed very well indeed. Virtually everything was dead in the air and accounted for the longest birds of the day too. :lol: The only cartridge here that I would use as an alternative to my old favorite the Yellow RC SIPE 32g.

So thanks for everyones advise, think I will be buying some of the World Cup's for pigeons and probably SIPE Prestige or Black Golds for High Pheasants.

Hewey

Edited by Hewey

Hi,

Haven't tried Maionchi since the old days of the AZ-20, think they were taken over or closed but have started producing again.

Must admit, cost wasn't really the reason for me changing shells, it was the fact that with the Sipe's being yellow I was afraid of getting one of my 20 Bore RC T3's mixed up with them and blowing up my gun and probably me with it.

Not 100% sure what price the SIPE's are now as I bought a LARGE batch a couple of years ago before the price of Lead soared but I'd imagine they are over £200 / 1000 now.

To me a few pence either way per shell didn't really matter, it was the confidence I have with them. I's rather spend 20p a shot and know I'm going to make a kill than 15p and wondering if it will kill.

I know the Express World Cup 28g 6.5's I bought are £187 in plastic wad or £196 in Fibre, which saves you a little against the SIPE's.

I'd give them a go, out of all the cartridges I tried I exprected them to be one of the worst being only 28g but how wrong I was, I'd recommend them any day as an alternative even though the largest shot size they do is the 6.5.

If you try the Maionchi's let me know how you get on but take a couple of boxes of the World Cup's and Sipe's along when you try them just to make a comparison.

Good Luck

Hewey

Very interesting research Hewey. I'm a big RC SIPE fan. I use them on game mainly as they are too dear for Mr Pigeon! I'll carry on using them as I no longer own a 20 bore. I can understand your worry of mixing them up. It beats me why cartridge manufacturers can't get their heads together and colour code cartridges to different bores. I'm going to try a few boxes of World Cup for interest.

Hi Whitebridges,

For the price don't think you'll go far wrong with the World Cup's, must admit though still deep down would prefer to stick with the SIPE's, suppose it's just the fact that I've used them for a few years now and found them extremely good.

If you don't shoot a 20 then stick with the SIPE's if you do and you want to save a few quid then the World Cup's are the best alternative I've found.

Used the World Cup's on Sunday and picked up 216 pigeons so trust me they do work well. :)

I paid £187 for the World Cup's think Sipe's are about £212. Although must admit the World Cup's I bought were Plastic rather than Fibre wad, know a lot of people don't agree with Plastic but I find they pattern better, don't foul the gun as much and have less recoil. Obviously don't use them anywhere near livestock.

What about Hulls?

I have tried RC's and they are good. Agree the Gamebore's are punchy. I now use Hull Special Pigeon fibre - 32g of 6 on most things and have just bought some Sterling game 34g of 5's for higher up stuff but I did pull down a pheasant from about 120 feet with the pigeon cart the other day - dead in the air, neck back, perfect.

I have found Hull to be really soft on the shoulder which is why I plumped for them - also use them for Clays - Pro Fibre or Sovreigns.

Jon.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Did someone say they can't get RC Sipe (Yellow Case) any more?

I just bought 250 32 gm plastic wad in 5 shot on the net from Clayshootingrus.com for about £66 delivered.

Tried these out on game and a few unlucky pigeons flying over with great results.

Used to shoot Winchester Western cartridges which were very fast and hard hitting at stupid ranges but these are not available now.

RC Sipe are similar to those and I will continue to use them.

Hope this helps.

Hello this is my 1st post so would like to say hello to everyone and offer my help on this discussion board.

I Have also been recommended Rio Royals and these are available in various loads from www.justcartridges.com I was told that the royal pigeon which is a 36gr 6 is an excellent choice for both pigeon and pheasants but they do have quite a kick. they are priced at £200.25 per 1000 but they also offer Rio SUPER GAME 32 F 5,6 at £162.50 per 1000. You can also get the RC SIPE YELLOW case in SIPE 32 P 4,5,6,7 at £210.50 per 1000. They also supply the full range in Rio and RC so you will have lots to choose from.

I loved the RC Sipe Yellow case and tried them out on Pheasant of varying hieghts last season and found them to be excellent but expensive. I spoke to a freind who put me on to the Rio stuff which is just as good and cheaper per 1000.

Thanks