The best Sound Moderator for hmr 17

rimfire4969

Hi Rimfire

I have a SAK on my .17 Quad and it does everything you could ever want. You will never find a moderator to reduce all the noise from a .17 HMR because you have the supersonic flight of the bullet which is impossible to deal with. The SAK certainly sorts out the explosive crack from ignition and downwind from 100+ yards Mr bunny has no idea what is going on or why his mates keep falling over.

Happy Hunting

As loyal as I am to the SAK, they are not designed for the blast and heat produced by the HMR. The baffles on the one sitting on my HMR have eroded considerably, and the moderation has faded slightly. You need something with stainless baffles, even for that piddly little powder charge.

DM80s are hard to get hold of, so I am going to pick up an ASE Utra myself.

I have read loads of articles on this topic and as you can imagine everyone has their own preference. As you can see I have a .17 HMR Quad and went for the SAK.

From all I've read and when you look at it in reality because your firing a supersonic round it is going to make a noise no matter what you screw to the end of the barrel. With my setup the .17 HMR round sounds about the same as a unmodded .22lr.

For the best deal I would say get the SAK (Its price '£33' suggests inferior quality but I can honestly say it is a brilliant bit of kit) + all the articles I've read say there is little difference between the lot (except price). That includes the one (name escapes me) specifically made for the .17HMR.

By the way one thing I did note was that although you get a good 'crack' signature at the muzzle, down range at 75 yards+ the sound is negligable and further down range towards the usable range of the round you honestly can't hear the signature at all (NOTE:- When I did this test I was at a safe distance adjacent to the intended target but down range nontheless.)

GET THE SAK mate - save the extra money for the rounds...

ps - has anyone else noted this phenomenon with regard to the almost silent downrange signature of the .17HMR through a SAK moderated rifle. I was a little suprised at how quite it can be down at the bunnies end of things. I would suggest that at a range greater than 75 Yards the signature is a identical to a .22lr ie you only hear the thud as it hits home, which would explain the starteled 'what the **** was that' look on the bunnies faces when you shoot one in a group. Obviously this round is good to getting on twice that range in the hands of the competant which means that sound, through a moderated rifle, should'nt be an issue....

Edited by Newsportshooter

I think that if there was ONE silencer that was far superior to the likes of the sak etc, we would all be using it by now.

Ive been toying with the idea of the dm80 myself as they are meant to be a little quieter.

Ive had no problems with my sak though, and find it p**s easy to clean and maintain.

I cant come to terms with forking out over 100 quid for a new one which will at best, only be a little quieter than my sak !

Depends really, cost means nothing ?

If you put up with the "crack" then a £30 mod will do.

An ASE Utra used between a .22lr & HMR with a cheapie as a slot filler is more cost effective way if you use both .22 & HMR.

The ASE costs £85 but the Wildcat costs about £120.

The SAK is good for £35 but allthough VFM isn't going to work as well as the more expensive ones.