Miroku Butt Pads

Fuji Shooter

During a recent skeet lesson the coach suggested I alter my gun mount slightly. After about 15 shots my shoulder was in pieces and I had to retire for the day.

He put this down the the slightly raised toe on the Miroku Mk70 and suggested I had it ground flat and fit a new pad.

Anyone had this done or suggest an alternative?

Edited by Freakmode

I was shooting 24gr and then switched to 21gr but this made little difference once the pain had started to set in.

To be honest the change in mount made little difference to the number of clays broken. In fact I shot the first 5 pairs without loss before he asked me to adjust.

I will try one of the Pachmayr slip on pads with the sporting slope when I can find one but they all seem to be out of stock in medium.

Don't alter your gun mate - once it's ground it's lost a lot of its value.

Skeet certainly isn't easy, and if you haven't had your shoulder problems before, just get your stance right, get your swing right, swing through the clays and practice, practice, practice.

Dry mounting daily will definitely help you enormously.

You only have to take a look at any gun club rack and I bet all of the Mirooks and Brownings belonging to good shots will still have curved butt plates.

Don't alter your gun mate - once it's ground it's lost a lot of its value.

Skeet certainly isn't easy, and if you haven't had your shoulder problems before, just get your stance right, get your swing right, swing through the clays and practice, practice, practice.

Dry mounting daily will definitely help you enormously.

You only have to take a look at any gun club rack and I bet all of the Mirooks and Brownings belonging to good shots will still have curved butt plates.

What rubbish,

If your gun doesn't fit you then you may as well take up golf.

Skeet isn't easy, but nor is anything else. Your gun needs to point where you are looking, if it is hurting when you have it mounted correctly then it needs altering. Why should the gun lose value? if you have the alterations done professionally it won't.

If your gun needs altering so you mount it correctly each and every time then it needs altering. The good shots who haven't altered their guns either had them made for them or were lucky enough to find a gun off the shelf that suited them.

Or they have been shooting so long that they have fitted themselves to the gun.

Dry mounting is a complete waste of time if the gun doesn't fit or you are mounting wrong. You don't suddenly become good a clay shooting because you have stood in front of a mirror and mounted your gun 1000 times.

Get a second opinion by all means but if you need to alter your gun to shoot well then do it, because if it hurts time after time you will soon want to give up.

I have a gun in with Potter and Walker (The Art of Gunsmithing:The Shotgun Author) in Evesham this week. When I pick it up I'll ask him about flatting off the end and putting a better pad on. I thought about the Pachmayr sporting one.

When he chopped the lads down and fitted a pad I think he only charged £50.

I love his workshop, could spend all day in there, its like stepping back in time and he is a really friendly bloke.

Lew Potter is a good gunsmith and a honest and enthusiastic shooter, he will help and sort you out.

Take your Miroku to him, get him to check your mount and stance.If these are both okay and not a cause for concern or alteration, you should seriously consider your health and muscular / skeletal issues.A solid wooden butt /plastic stockplate should not hurt with 24grm or 21grm shells. Are you sure you do not have an injury or another issue?

• 3 weeks later...