Quiet Air Rifles

chewy0013

Hi everyone! Im new to this site and the whole air rifle and hunting business. I'm looking for some expert advice from you seasoned hunters :blush: I made the first mistake of not doing my research going out and buying a cheap piece of rubish(SMK 19-18, if you think this is good take it apart and have a look at the quality of the steel and the machining!) I have tuned it a bit by properly lubing it, smoothing out the rough edges and replacing the spring that snapped after 1000 pellets!

What I'm now looking for is a really quiet air rilfe, thats still top power and accuracy!(naybe too much to ask lol) I tend to shoot in my garden and the neighbours hate the fact i do. I've had the police round twice and both times they agreed that I was shooting in a safe mannner, but I really dont want the continued hassle of it. I know that with a silencer co2 and pcps are pretty much silent, but i dont have the money for a pcp or the time to muck about buying the co2 capsules!

I am willing to mod or tune a rifle if people think that it will work better. I've heard good things about the bsa lightening fitted with a gas ram if you replace the stock?!

Please any and every scap of advice i will be happy to recieve!

Sorry for the essay!

Stuart

Ok er this is a tough one! I would say try and get some permission on some farmers land? How much do you have to spend? ont he buy sell swap section you can get some good pcps for a bargain price. in your garden you could shoot things that are quiet this may sound stupid but if you shoot wood the impact sound is noisy but paper is not. Gas rams are also quite good apparently to reduce the piston sound.

I am currently shooting at a paper target with a couple of sand bags as a back stop. The noise of it hitting the taregt isn't really the problem, its the rifle itself. I also would like to start shooting pigeons, rats and squirrels. Thanks for the advice but I would really prefer a spring/gas ram rilfe for the time being, as I am new and I would like to continue tuning/fixing my own rifles!(PCP's sound far too complicated)

Around £250

Edited by chewy0013

Sounds like a good gun to get then! This may be me being silly but is there any difference between Weihrauch HW 97K and Beeman HW97?

Aslo just looked and there is an option of the carbine version or the standard. Does the shorter barrel affect power/accuracy?

Edited by chewy0013

I would look at the HW90-out of date , i think, but built to last-they are powered by a gas-ram.The only springer that "springs" to mind as being relativly quiet is the Air Arms tx200-perhaps the .22 version as the slower pellet may make a little difference.Have you tried talking to your neighbours?-they may have a good reason for concern (kids in the garden for example)-perhaps you could reach a compromise as to certain times of the day.You could let them know that you are keen to be reasonable and that if they continue to call the police they may be charged with wasting police time.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I have tried speaking to them but they are being really unreasonable (they won't answer the door) They don't have kids/pets and they are never in their garden. I am 21 so maybe that is a factor in it. The last time the police came round, the firearm officer told me that the bloke next door had claimed that a pellet had wizzed passed his head while he was out in the garden. I showed them where I was shooting and how I was doing it and they were perfectly happy to let me continue.

So to be honest it just isn't worth it, its not nice when two firearm officers come knocking on your door. I would prefer to just have a really quiet rifle that they can't hear.

Ok er this is a tough one! I would say try and get some permission on some farmers land? How much do you have to spend? ont he buy sell swap section you can get some good pcps for a bargain price. in your garden you could shoot things that are quiet this may sound stupid but if you shoot wood the impact sound is noisy but paper is not. Gas rams are also quite good apparently to reduce the piston sound.

dont shoot at wood - it can rocichet - trsut me i have done it when i was young and knew no better and literally had a pellet rebound 25 yards back past me, god only knows where all the others went that day !!!!!!!

any of the rifles mentioned would be a good bet....................you can pick up some nice secondhand air arms propsorts if you keep an eye open, the ones with the old beech stock not the rosewood capped ones, i sold a newer one because i picked one up in good condition secondhand for £180 scoped

be safe and responsible in your garden and all should be good in the hood

Wow just looked at the prosport and I have to say that its beautiful! I really like both the hw97k and the prosport, thanks alot guys you've just made it a very difficult desicion!!!! lol.

How loud is your prosport meinderby? I know that it is shroudded but can you fit an silencer to it aswel?

I think that i'm going to have to get a some extra hours and increase my budget to £300.

Also what do people think about .177? I will be mainly using this for targets but I do want the option of hunting with it aswel. Can you hunt humanly with .177?

Edited by chewy0013

i would say your wasting your time if you want a very quiet springer :lol:

options i would say where

pumper ...... sharp innova with moderator or similar

cheap Pcp ....... bsa spitfire and stirrup pump

co2 ........ ratchater ect ....... co2 capsules are dirt cheap nowadays

:lol:

Yes a .177 is ideal for Hunting and Target shooting.The Prosport is a lovely gun but i mentioned the HW97K cos i originally saw your budget and thought of this particular rifle.The Prosprt is a more upmarket spring rifle.As for the neighbours it be best if you can get some Farmland permission instead of hassle from your neighbours. :lol:

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I have seen an Hw97k for around £300 and the pro sport for around £380. What would you get out of these two if you were spending the money?

Also what ones likely to be quieter? Can gas rams be fitted to either?

I have just read someone elses post about the BSA Ultra. I have read some reviews and it seems no one can fault them. On the Deep Blue Clay and Field site its £249.95, £110 cheaper than any other site. It comes with a fitted silencer and an all in one mount. Do you think its a bit dodgy? Will i be able to find a pump or a tank for under my £300 budget? I have a decent scope so not bothered about that!

Edited by chewy0013

As for the cheap cheap end of PCP's AGS do one which is "Reasonable for the money", but many on here don't like them.

Even I'll admit that I prefer my heavily customised HW80 to it, but it sure is quiet.

However also consider the additional kit needed.

Either a pump that induces tennis elbow, or a huge great lump of a diving cylinder to take around with your gun.

For a best bet get a HW97 or for that matter any recommended Weihrauch springer. Good prices, excellent build quality and a name that is renowned in all shooting circles.

Plus no charging up kit needed. <_<

Then again I am biased. Air Arms are also the dogs marriage tackle!

Regards

Tufty

For the OP

I have used a gas-ram, a PCP, and a springer in the name of reaearch, and I would say that the noisiest is the springer - by far. Gas ram is next noisiest, but closer to the relative silence of a PCP than a springer.

However, gas rams are 'rare' in comparison to the other two types, so maybe not as easily available.

I hope you make the right choice though, and get what you hope for.