.17 HMR barrel length, whats best?

trephilgar66

Can anyone offer an opinion on barrel length.

I am looking for a .17HMR and there seem to be a wide range of barrel lengths available. Anything from 16 to 23 inches.

Now I have read lots about the relationship between length and performance but would appreciate the views of anyone on the subject. Obviously there are benefits to there being a shorter barrel but not at the expense of grouping. It will be used with a moderator so 23 + mod would turn out to be a bit of a handful. Any ideas?

Many thanks

jeremy

I'm using a CZ American with a 21" barrel plus a Paker Hale mod which is quite long and thin.

Very accurate but a pain to use from the truck.

Look at the pics in this thread. My rifle is the woodstocked one with the longets barrel. There are a couple of quite nice shots showing the difference in length between mine and Wookie's (which is a CZ Varmint with a 16" bull barrel).

HTH

ZB

and also look at the bullberry 17 HMR data (a google search or a search on this board for my posts will bring it up). They cut a contender barrel from 24" down to 10" or so and tracked the velocity. Long story short, right around 16-19" was optimal for velocity versus length, but you weren't loosing much by dropping down a few more inches. I'd figure out what length you want from a convenience standpoint and go with that. I'd be tempted to go bare minimum (12-13") if it were a truck gun.

Thanks

Rick

I use my 16" CZ Varmint (+SAK mod) from a car mostly and it doesn't get caught up much.

If I had a rifle like Zapp's, I could see myself knocking the mod or something getting it in and out of the window.

Accuracy-wsie, it will do under an inch at 100m all day, so no problems there.