royal engineers

sapper063

Hi 063

Most of my time at Hameln was spent away in Norway, Bavaria, and Austria - Skiing and training for the Biathlon 4div and army finals, which were held in Bavaria each Feb/March dependant upon local snow conditions.

The Crooked Lantern (Sheafer Laterna) was probably the most frequented pub in Hameln at the time - seem to remember a young lady by the name of Anna Marie Englhart who stole most of the attention.

As for Bridging, like all Sappers at the time I did my bit during training at Cove but the nearest I got to LFB, HFB and Bailey from that time on was driving over the things to get to the other side.

I was in Berlin on business last year, you would not recognise the place now - took the train to Rostock up on the Baltic via old East Germany and not much has changed in the sticks but the main cities now look totally different.

When not Skiing I used to sail the Baltic from Kiel in Avalanche - apparently she was commandeered from the German Army after the war and used by the RE's as a training sailing vessel - crewed 8/10 and was great fun for a few weeks in August - in and out of Danish ports.

We used to take crates of Charlie with us, which we bought in the NAFFI for peanuts and sell it to the Danes in order to fund the extra curricular activities – the advert is very true albeit nearly 40 years behind the times.

What are you doing now – besides shooting a few woodies?

afraid to say not a lot because of injurys ie damaged spine damaged knees i manage ok dont have far to go shooting, i have 3 places where i lay for hours bunny bashing . got pension now. rather have health, hunting for this elusive red bear arm patch, is a challenge but im sure i will find it in the end i was with 38 ind fld sqn RE BERLIN. AND WAS IN SMUTS BARRACKS , next to the prison

anyway have a good life and all the best

phil