Scope for springer air rifle

TwoSmokingBarrels

Looking at getting a AGS Sapphire 3-9x40 Illuminated Mil-dot Reticle scope. But after reading 'a' review it says its a no go for springers as it dont hold its zero, you have to re-zero every 30 odd or so shots. So what your opinions? Only on a small budget, dont want a Zeiss or so on. What do you guys use with your springers?

Have a look at the hawke range as they are good scopes and cheap as well, for a springer go for a 3 - 9 x 40 as it will allow enough light in for lamping

Looking nat a Hawke Varmint going quite cheap at this moment in time, says its Spring gun rated

Anything shock proof - I think most of hawke scopes are :hmm:

Also, I think its best to use a 1 piece mount on springers as often people blame the scope when its the mounts that are moving slightly :D

Got a 1 piece mount but i zeroed my air rifle at 30 yards with a 1 inch group then next time i used it was'nt hitting the target so has the be the air rifle knocking the scope out of zero.

Can definitely recommend the Varmint II, I have one on an Accushot one piece mount on my springer (Gamo Whisper X .22) and it holds zero rock solid, got mine for £37 off eBay including the mount.

Good scope too once you get the parallax set up right, although I'm not convinced that parallax scopes are really necessary on a non-FAC air rifle...but if you can get a good deal like I feel I did (£40 for a £120 scope) then it's a steal.

Yes mate you don't have to pay customs for a gift if it's under a certain value i think, i use dampa mounts on my springers

£18 limit for goods purchased from non EU countries but upped to £36 if it's marked as a gift. On that note..stuff bought off DealExtreme is marked as a gift when delivered.

simmons 8-point scope 3-9x40

great scope for little money .i have one on a springer.(bsa)

i would buy another without a second thought.

For a good scope without going over the top it would be great.

cheers

scott

So worth getting, my dad had a 3-9x50 8 point on his centrefire and performed well so looks like thats going to be my choice. Groups well on your springer and holds it zero well then?

simmons wtc is the better scope no doubt about it optically, but the hawkes are cheap... if you low light hunting id deffo go for the 3-9x50 over the 3-9x40.. it shouldnt make a difference but i have looked though both in fading light and the 3-9x50 is a lot better, also id leave the mag set never adjust it , it will move the poi , happens slighty on all hawke scopes, noticable more at rimmy distances. but i just leave mine on 6 mag and have the holdover points on a sticker on the stock , whereass the whitetails have a 30/30 ret and although is workable has no real aimpoints, its more of 1/2down ret 57 yards 1/4 down ret 45 yards holdover for .177, where as the hawkes with map ret just mak it really easy to get right. as for the poi shift, have your mounts got the arrestor screw wound down into the lug on your action ? may be worth a look, if your hasnt got an arrestor screw, you can always get an arrestor block to screw up aginst your mounts to stop them moving ...