Cylinder choke

JDsniper

Many years ago I had a battered old Beretta 301 semiauto that had its unusual multi choke system cross threaded by a 'friend' thereby knackering the muzzle end of the barrel.

I cut the barrel off at the front of a support pillar on the rib and ended up with a 26" barrel choked cylinder.

I thought I had got a gun that was only any good for skeet yet when I used it for sporting I was amazed to see that it was still possible to break targets up to 35 yards with 9 shot.

That gun is still in use today.It usually starts out as a beginners first gun and then sold on as they 'progress' to something more grand.

Having tried,over the years, more choke sizes than you can shake a stick at,I now use a fixed choke gun choked 1/4 & 1/4.

Vic.

Many years ago I bought a gun that was choked half and full . It was used for every thing from pigeon shooting to wild fowling . After having the gun for about 4 years I traded it in for an other gun . The dealer that I bought the new gun from measured the chokes on my trade in and guess what? they were cylinder and improved . Dont worry about choke its all in the mind .

Harnser .

I spent two years using a Remington 1100 stamped FULL choke on the barrell, often choosing it on sporting layouts where I knew there were some very rangey birds. Hitting them convincingly too. So did mates, it was a popular 'long range' gun in our group.

Finally took it to Teague's and hey presto, he tells me despite being FULL originally it had been bored out at some point to approximately skeet!

Not sure what the lesson is here apart from the fact that I'm not good enough to worry about chokes.

Edited by Thunderbird

My 26" barreled AYA No.4 is bored out to imp cyl and just a slight bit tighter that imp cyl and all I ususally use in that are Eley First 28g 7's and I can take good range woodies etc. Its not all about chokes etc is more to to in which direction you send the lead. Hence gun fit is more important than choke IMO.

My 26" barreled AYA No.4 is bored out to imp cyl and just a slight bit tighter that imp cyl and all I ususally use in that are Eley First 28g 7's and I can take good range woodies etc. Its not all about chokes etc is more to to in which direction you send the lead. Hence gun fit is more important than choke IMO.

That bit of choke makes a huge difference to performance though. If your in two minds about cylinders ability to break edge on clays or drop a woody past 35 yards shoot a piece of paper at 40 yards and look at those lovely big holes. Consistency is out of the question.

But re the original post yes its useable within sensible limitations.

Ed