Split HMR cases

I've just been zeroing and had a substantial flier and upon looking at the spent case, I found a big crack in it. I checked what I had left of the box and found 2 of 20 something unused ones also with cracks.

I have another box in the safe, same batch. Should I return the whole lot (1 box unopened)?

Is it worth having a pinned thread of the batch numbers found to be bad?

Batch number: M18M05

I posted the same about this quiet some time back after noticing the odd strange discharge when

firing. I noticed that there was large cracks in the neck or shoulder of the spent case.

And after checking the cartridges (pre firing of course). I noticed airline fractures like the bullet in

the middle diagram shows. But out of about 200 checked i only found about 5 and took them out.

Though i still get the odd cracked case after firing. But it has never bothered me health an saftey

wise when shooting, so hardly take any notice now. I just check for cracked one before i shoot them

and take them out to be dispenced with.

As for the tips, some say blue, red or what ever colour has a different baring on the ammo's

accuracy. IMHO opinion all the differnce is between them all is just the colour an nothing else.

Never noticed any difference in accuracy.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

I posted the same about this quiet some time back after noticing the odd strange discharge when

firing. I noticed that there was large cracks in the neck or shoulder of the spent case.

And after checking the cartridges (pre firing of course). I noticed airline fractures like the bullet in

the middle diagram shows. But out of about 200 checked i only found about 5 and took them out.

Though i still get the odd cracked case after firing. But it has never bothered me health an saftey

wise when shooting, so hardly take any notice now. I just check for cracked one before i shoot them

and take them out to be dispenced with.

As for the tips, some say blue, red or what ever colour has a different baring on the ammo's

accuracy. IMHO opinion all the differnce is between them all, just is the colour an thats it.

Never noticed any difference in accuracy. Unless your using 20grain or 25grain heads. Iv only

ever used 17grain as i'v never been able to get the 20 or 25 grain to shoot.

DD

yep same here DD

I guess the tip colour is more to do with a quick way to tell a date made to/from it would be a guess but i can see the shop saying oh yea red ones there from jan 09 to jan 10 if you catch my drift

• 4 weeks later...

Just been out zeroing a new scope and trying out some Federal V Shoks.

Very happy with the new scope, not so chuffed with the consistancy of the Fed's :angry:

I actually though that I wouldn't need to check every round.

As I was in the process of zeroing the scope I expected some to be a bit off as I made adjustments, but some seemed to be further off than I would have expected. I checked the spent cases and guess what I found? 3 properly split necks.

I checked the remaining un-fired rounds in the box and found another 2 with cracks.

That's 10%. I understand that the makers can't check every round, but 10% is a bit high in my opinion.

Batch number: 19M16

I'll have a word with the RFD to see if they had had any other complaints.

The attached picture was my attempts to zero at 105m, so I'm not too miserable.

post-14972-0-44961300-1321715241.jpg

Edited by Alpha Mule

• 1 month later...